Menu

Anybody in south Texas

emzhengjiu

We've gotten over thirteen inches of rain at this point and the rain isn't supposed to stop until Wednesday at the earliest. A couple of tornado warnings last night, but they didn't touch down in our town, but the town north of us. Our ditches are full, but nothing is creeping toward the house yet.

Our biggest threat at this point is the river flooding. Normally our house is 6 blocks from the river, but with the projected river rise, it should flood to within a block or two of our house. Of course, it floods more than the projection things could get bad for us. 

Prayers and good thoughts are appreciated for those of us here in the Houston area. There are a lot of people who are losing everything.

Chelli, are you comfortable saying which river (here or in a PM)? I suspect I'm fairly near you yet well outside the range of river flooding. If you need anything, holler. 

• Like 1

It has been a stressful, stressful couple of days. And we are safe. And dry. And stocked. And have electricity. And a thousand times better than millions of people in Texas right now.

Our family that was in the direct path of Harvey (Victoria) made it through with minimal damage (relatively speaking). So very, very thankful.

Houston family are all safe, dry, at home and hopefully stay that way.

Beach house on Bolivar unscathed while 3 other houses burned to the ground.

Some perspective:

Memorial Day 2015 Flood

162 billion gallons

Tax Day 2016 Flood

240 billion gallons

Harvey 2017

340-370 billion gallons in 48 hours with more to come

Meteorologists are forecasting possibly double the rain fall at this point. So far 24-25" on average in 48 hours. Forecasting ANOTHER 24-25" in next 48 hours. It's just hard to believe. Mother Nature...

Our own "adventure" yesterday included 5 tornados within 5 miles of us (2 while away from home with no shelter), 1 broke toe, and an overflowing pool with all drainage backed up in the dark. It was crazy and stressful and educational and cold and wet. But we laughed at the end of the day or rather middle of the night. We are blessed.

I wish we could help those needing it. I wish we were equipped better to aid them. But we will certainly look for opportunities to help in the aftermath.

Texas is tough! 🤠 The can-do, survivor attitude has just been amazing. So proud of my community.

• Like 4

Fun facts:

The rain downfall was so fast last night around 10pm that my pool volume (31000 gallon pool) increased 2" in 8 minutes. Hence the breach that brought water to top of my foundation on back side of house. It was surreal. Silver lining-We now know what to do if the pool overflows!

Harvey flooding has official surpassed Allison.

Edited by aggie96
  • Like 2

Hey since many in this thread are experienced with hurricanes (and possibly other natural disasters), can I ask you a question?

What do you think about this popular sort of design that seems to be everywhere these days?

Like this?

http://www.anvilnorthwest.com/product/anvil-x-tee/

I don't consider myself to be easily triggered by things, but I cannot see a shirt or bumper sticker with this design and not think about what my old neighborhood looked like after Katrina.

https://southernspaces.org/2010/katrina-5-x-code-exhibition

I just keep thinking the folks who design these shirts have never experienced mass search and rescue events.

Katrina evacuee/survivor here  - we moved to NOLA six weeks before Katrina!

When we came back in January, I had to transport my son to school in Metairie from Uptown.  I saw those marks everywhere and the whole city freaked me out.  Kinda triggering.

• Like 1

Everyone in the area affected by Harvey please stay very alert and pay attention to what the authorities are telling you to do (or not to do). Be very careful.  It will probably rain there through Wednesday or Thursday, which is not helpful.

• Like 1