Menu

Math for 7th grade on

mom2three

Here is my oldest son's math schedule:

7th grade--R&S Math 8

8th grade--Modern Algebra Structure and Method Book 1 by Dolciani (1965 edition)

9th grade--Modern Geometry Structure and Method by Jurgensen (1965 edition)

The 1960's Dolciani series has been discussed and recommended on the high school boards. I did a lot of research this past summer, and I really like the logical, systematic approach of this series published by Houghton Mifflin. It took about 6 months, but I was able to purchase all 4 student texts and all 4 teacher's manuals.

To find the best fit for your homeschool, I would suggest that you attend a homeschool book fair (especially for the DVD programs) and use your local inter-library loan system. I was able to view many textbooks this way. My DH and I compare many texts (we focused on the presentation of slope and polynomials for Algebra I) in order to find the best fit for my sons and me.

HTH!

7th grade - BJU Pre-Algebra

8th grade - Jacob's Algebra

9th grade (next year) - Jacob's Geometry

After that, I will probably go with Chalk-Dust. Though I'm wondering if I shouldn't have gone ahead and forked over the money for CD starting with Algebra!

Best of luck!

Rhonda

I expect a mixture of Life of Fred and Videotext Algebra (which includes pre-algebra)

I have both these already, as my oldest used VA, and we brought LOF for fun for ds.

My 7th grader is currently reviewing all maths through to pre-algebra before starting VT (some fractions are a bit ropey...he doesn't seem to have retained it all, same with some basic geom)

My 7th grader's doing Abeka 7th grade math on DVD and so far *loving* it. I'm loving it, too, as dd and I butt heads when it comes to me trying to explain math concepts to her, and I'm too weak in math to teach it w/o taking the time to study it out first.

If this year continues to go well, I'd imagine that we'll stick with Abeka DVD. I was feeling a little guilty about the money spent for it, but I'm starting to think it was well worth it. :)

Edited by Donna A.
for detail

We did Saxon 87 in 7th only because I was new at homeschooling, didn't know about this forum...enough said. We lasted about half a year and then moved on to Math U See Pre-Algebra. Saxon was a terrible fit for dd but it really served its purpose and filled in a lot of gaps. For that, I am thankful.

Now, in 8th, we are using Algebra 1 by Paul Foerster, and we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.

For 9th, I am considering Chalkdust or Jacobs. I don't want to spend the money on CD but I don't like the looks (literally) of Jacobs' texts even though they are supposed to be excellent.

With my others, I will absolutely sure I will use Foerster's. I may need a bridge from our elementary math programs, especially since one is using Horizon's, so I might use Math U See again but perhaps at the algebra level. Math U See is very low stress and Momof7 follows that route.

For what it's worth, here's our jr/sr high math progressions; our boys are currently 9th and 10th grades, and neither has interests in careers in the math or science fields at this time. Warmly, Lori D.

Older math-minded son:

6th - Singapore 6A/B

7th - Singapore's New Elementary Math (NEM1), first half; then a skim review of Saxon Algebra 1/2

8th - Jacobs Algebra

9th - Jacobs Geometry

10th - Abeka Consumer Math; NEM2 skim review

11th - Algebra 2 (program yet to be decided)

12th - Pre-Calculus

Younger math-struggling son:

6th - MUS Delta and Epsilon

7th - MUS Zeta (spine); Singapore 4A/B and 5A (supplement)

8th - MUS Pre Algebra (spine); Singapore 5B and 6A/B (supplement); Keys to ... workbooks (supplement)

9th - Jacobs Algebra (spine); Math-u-See Algebra (supplement)

10th - finish above; start Jacobs Geometry (spine) with MUS Geometry (supplement)

11th - finish above; start Algebra 2 (program yet to be decided)

12th - Abeka Consumer Math

(may flip grades 11 and 12 in order to be taking Algebra 2 in senior year to be "fresh" for ACT/SAT testing)

We are currently using Rod and Staff grade 7 for math but will switch to LOF fractions (for review),then Decimals and Percents and Key to Percents.If we finish them before the end of the school year we will go back and work some more from R&S.For 8th I plan to use LOF Begining Algebra and to start Key to Algebra and then go on to do LOF Algebra and finish the Key to Algebra series for 9th grade.Depending on what dd decides she wants to study in college will determine what math courses she takes after that.I do plan to have her take a consumer math course in high school no matter what math courses we decide may be necessary.