Menu

French movies (again)

I've given up trying to stream anything*, so I will purchase some DVDs to watch this semester.

*there is a french series on Hulu that seems excellent "A French Village" but I don't know that I can get that sort of commitment from DS.

Movies he has seen already and we can recommend are all the Pagnol ones, Les Choristes â¤ï¸, Entre les Murs (The Class), all the Petit Nicolas ones and a couple others that aren't worth mentioning.

I already plan to order Belle et Sebastian and Au revoir les enfants. Can you recommend a few more? I like to loosely keep around a PG13 rating for visual media but are very liberal on this.

What is on our shelves:

Le Huitieme Jour 6+

L'avare with louis de funes 6+

Etre et Avoir slooow documentary

Belle et Bete (not the disney one!) 9+

Le renard et L'enfant

Ernest & Celestine

Loulou de Montmartre

Moliere by Tirard

I think these are not PG13:

Cyrano de Bergerac with Depardieu (12+)

17 Filles (Pregnancy Pact the French Way) (12+)

Le comte de Monte Christo

Les miserables

No et moi (not sure I 'recommand' this one)

Elle s'appelait Sarah (please preview this one & read the book yourself: it is a great book, a great movie too. But I'm still thinking about to wait a year (or two) with this for dd. It has just a tough story line. The book hit me in other parts then the movie. I think this is a grade 11/12 one)

ETA:

Joyeux Noel

• Like 2

Thanks. We couldn't get through Etre et avoir. We did watch the black and white Belle et Bete.

Now I read your list I'm wondering if there's a move on Sans Famille, we read that book also.

This one has been part of my youth:

https://www.amazon.fr/Remi-sans-famille-Osamu-Dezaki/dp/B00TPZUTMK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501867217&sr=8-1&keywords=Dvd+remi

This is one is new:

https://www.amazon.fr/Sans-famille-version-originale-française/dp/B00C7VM0LM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1501867217&sr=8-6&keywords=Dvd+remi

(Buying myself directly that one :)

• Like 2

Jean de Florette

Manon des Sources (IIRC, there is a brief nude scene where she is bathing? in the stream? It's been several years since I've seen it.)

If you watch Jean de Florette, please watch Manon des Sources because it gives the ending to the whole story, completing the whole 'message' the story is trying to convey, and is meant to be a two part-er.  It may feel like it is slow going, but stick with it, and you'll be rewarded.  Although, depending the age of your student, you may want to preview it because it may appeal more to an upper high school/adult level.  I loved, loved it!!

• Like 3

Tout les Matins du Monde, I do not remember much about nudity or how age appropriate it might be, if I recall there are some hot and heavy love scenes. But I loved it and anything with Depardieu in it. I second Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources. 

• Like 3