Menu

Have I ruined my MacBook?

I feel like such a dope. I learned today that I was not supposed to keep thing thing plugged in all the time, but rather, that it was meant to be always charging or de-charging (or whatever that word is). Um. So now when I unplug the thing, the battery lasts about 30 minutes.

I have a mental picture of what happened and why but I do not know what the remedy is. New battery?

Bring it to the Apple store. I have a feeling that you will need a new battery, but I'm not a Genius, nor to I pretend to be one : ) That's a bummer, but at least you can still run it plugged into the wall for now.

ETA- I just asked my dh how long his battery lasts and he said 1 1/2- 2hours. His MacBook pro is 2 years old.

Edited by Shannon831

You're not alone! My battery only lasts about 1-2 minutes now. I keep it plugged in all the time too, that's bad? :001_huh: I always thought it was because of the times I'd leave it on and plugged in, and it would get accidentally unplugged and die.

I think getting a new battery is what you'll need. I need to get one soon too.

these batteries are meant to be cycled. i do leave mine plugged in a lot but every so often i let it drain. most mac batteries in good form last 3 hours which, according to my PC brother, is usual in the windows world.

it may be time for a new battery but in the meantime, let the mac drain down completely and then recharge completely. you may find you have more than 30 minutes of life. btw, Amazon sells MacBook batteries.

Edited by Deidre in GA