Menu

What level of writing strands?

Lori in MS

Hi Lori,

What age or grade level is your son? You might be able to start with WS 4. (The first exercise is a little weird, but that’s ok.) I haven't used R&S to know. But maybe some of this will help as you think through it.

Here are the kinds of skills in WS 3. If you think he has covered it, then go to 4. Some kinds of lessons are repeated and expanded in other books, so it builds over time.

Basics of structure and expansion of sentences and paragraphs.

Topic sentences

Organizing (form of outlining) a topic before writing several paragraphs.

Using descriptive writing to help your reader see the unseen

Creative writing skills:

Creating characters that are likable, and describing how they think, talk, move.

Planning a short story with organization the events, and details.

Maintaining point of view (1st or 3rd person) while telling story

Punctuation with dialogue in a story

not switching tenses.

-crystal

my 12 year old has just started writing strands 4 . he has no previous writing strands experience. I change some of the exercises to something more relevant to him, but keep with the technique being learned.

my 11 year old has just started writing strands 3, he is a very reluctant writer. it is going well for him.

one thing that I have found that is working well, is they do their writing strands on the computer. they can then go back over their sentences,and add all the adverbs, and adjectives in to the core sentences, and do the paragraph development exercises without endless re-writing.

one thing that I have found that is working well, is they do their writing strands on the computer. they can then go back over their sentences,and add all the adverbs, and adjectives in to the core sentences, and do the paragraph development exercises without endless re-writing.

What a great idea!

Thanks

He's a 12 yr old 6th grader. He has trouble writing several paragraphs but the other skills I think he is okay with.

I would go with WS3 then. It may not take you a whole year, but I think it would still lay some groundwork that would make WS4 more successful.