Menu

Room Makeover for a Tween Girl - ideas?

frugalmamatx

Asking my fellow boardies for ideas. DD 10 is asking for a room makeover to get rid of her very pink little girl room. So far she's decided on pale silver walls, with purple and lime green curtains. 

Any ideas for neat things to do? Budget is a concern - she's paying for this makeover herself mostly. 

You can hang a sheet from the ceiling in such a way as to create a sort of boho-canopy effect.  She could get fabric pretty cheap, but even cheaper would be used sheets from the thrift store.

eta: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c6/10/87/c61087e8698be620965fd28e1adfafac--diy-canopy-bed-canopies.jpg 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=imgres&cd=&ved=&url=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv647%2Fwernotalone%2FIMG_1927.jpg&psig=AFQjCNHgH6BpxFF1P1tYirTHa7r5zEOQdw&ust=1501016620124532

Edited by eternalsummer

You can hang a sheet from the ceiling in such a way as to create a sort of boho-canopy effect.  She could get fabric pretty cheap, but even cheaper would be used sheets from the thrift store.

Those Ikea mosquito nets are pretty cheap, too.

• Like 1

--If she has book shelves, she could paint the back of the shelves one (or rotate both) of the accent colors.

--Cute "dorm" size rug in front of bed.

--Drape strand of colored or white Christmas lights along wall or over bed or in corner, etc.

--Cover desk chair with some super-textured fabric (purchased with 40% coupon at Hobby Lobby or JoAnns or Walmart).

--Giant peg board.  Thin sheet paneling from Home Depot. Glue cork squares on it (Amazon was cheapest last year). Cover in accent color fabric (pull around to back to staple).  Frame optional since this can get a little more complicated.  Great place for friend pics etc.  I have also found large peg board already framed that I just spray painted the board part one color and frame another color.

--Change out knobs on dresser.  Since knobs can get expensive, use plain wooden ones and paint solid color or with little designs on them.  Can even glue gems on them.

--Pin favorite posters all over ceiling (or start with a couple and add to collection over time).

Edited by aggie96

DD loved/still loves the little white light strings. Also photos of her friends binder-clipped to a string, kind of like we used to hang Christmas cards. Pinterest - search tween girl bedrooms to see what I mean.

Yes, this! My 12yo and 10yo dds LOVE these! I've heard them called Fairy Lights and we have found strings of them at TJMaxx and Marshalls for under $10. 

• Like 1

this is going to carry her into her early teens - and they change so much.

I've made curtains from sheets.

has she looked at pictures online?

you can do a lot with paint.  the walls don't have to be solid.  she can  do stripes, or giant checks (on an angle), or even a scroll of some type in a contrasting color.

a table/shelf that is low enough for make-up/jewelry with a mirror.

Picture Ledge from IKEA are inexpensive ($10) and great for displaying art and favorite books, etc in room.  Also great for lining up your nail polish, keepsakes, art supplies.  These are nice if you have more wall space than floor space.

Yes, this! My 12yo and 10yo dds LOVE these! I've heard them called Fairy Lights and we have found strings of them at TJMaxx and Marshalls for under $10. 

british english = fairy lights.

american english = mini-lights