Menu

need field trip ideas

I would like to ask all of you for some field trip ideas. I would like to spend a whole week doing field trips, one subject a day. I thought it would be fun to try and do this.

I all ready have some things over the next few weeks that would count for science and social studies/history. I need some ideas for math, literature, and English, or another subject that would fit better. My dd will be studying using library type resources in her language arts soon, so we could do a day at the library. It might be a good introduction for my ds (K), but I am open to better ideas. Since my kids are 6 years apart, they aren't studying the same things in these subjects. I'll be open to any ideas.

We live south of Atlanta, but north of Macon. Thanks in advance!

We had a bank field trip just last week. I called ahead and arranged a tour to see the bank. We took coins and donated them to the food bank. Before we gave them, the bank sent them through the sorting/counting machine for us. Your son looks like the perfect age for an activity like that...as he is probably learning about the value of coins. Your daughter could learn a little about keeping a checking account and keeping it balanced.

We had a good time and I learned something too!

Is there a house or museum of an author in the area? Math, go measure,look for interesting architecture, or map out a neighborhood. Have fun and let us know what you do.

I think there is a museum of the Uncle Remus stories somewhere east of us. That's a great idea! Best of all, we just got back from Disneyworld a couple of weeks ago, and we loved Splash Mountain which is based on those stories.

I'll have to ask around about any other authors.

Thanks!

We had a bank field trip just last week. I called ahead and arranged a tour to see the bank. We took coins and donated them to the food bank. Before we gave them, the bank sent them through the sorting/counting machine for us. Your son looks like the perfect age for an activity like that...as he is probably learning about the value of coins. Your daughter could learn a little about keeping a checking account and keeping it balanced.

We had a good time and I learned something too!

Thanks! Great idea. He is learning about coins now. She all ready has a checking and savings account (our bank allows kids to have checking because of a special savings that requires monthly transfers), but she might could learn more of how they actually operate at the branch, as well as about loans and credit.

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing all field trips this week. Thanks for all the ideas. I've had one kink in the whole thing that I've got to do their portraits this week to get them back before Thanksgiving. Here's the plan right now.

Monday (Math)

Portraits: I am going to have them help me figure out the best prices for packages and sheets.

Shopping: We need a new kitchen table and chairs. We are going to measure the space we have to fill. After portraits, we're checking out the stores nearby to compare tables and prices. We'll be measuring tables, space they fill, etc.

Tuesday (Music)

We are going to see an opera designed for elementary students. That morning we're going to be studying operas and terminology. After we get back, there are several work pages from the study guide that we will complete.

Wednesday (Social Studies)

Museum:

We will be visiting a museum where we are members. They have a new exhibit that is a great social studies topic.

Thursday (Library/Science)

Library: We'll be going to the library to review (for dd)/teach (for ds) using library resources to research a topic. They will each pick an animal (from a list of the place we will go next), and research it.

Animal Rehabilitation Center: We will then go to a nearby animal rehabilitation center to see animals and take pictures of the one they researched. They will come home and prepare a small poster about their animal.

Friday (History)

Morning: Research the Olympics (ancient & modern). Prepare a family "flag" to carry in an opening ceremony.

Afternoon: Meet friends to have our own Olympics event.

Thanks again for the ideas, help, and encouragement. I really like this group!:)

Friday (History)

Morning: Research the Olympics (ancient & modern). Prepare a family "flag" to carry in an opening ceremony.

Afternoon: Meet friends to have our own Olympics event.

Sounds like an awesome week.

(If you ever want to do more Olympics stuff in the future, the Atl History Center has a section dedicated to the Olympics.)