Menu

If you switched to CLE after using TT Math 7 the previous year...

If you switched to CLE after using TT Math 7 the previous year...

which level of CLE did you use and how did it go?

I'm STILL undecided about math for next year, but I'm considering a switch to CLE after two of my students had a lackluster year in TT Math 7. For both of these girls, last year was their first year with me, and both placed into TT Math 7 according to TT placement tests I administered last fall. By the end of the school year in May, one barely passed TT Math 7 and both scored low in math (math Grade Equivalent score In the 5th grade range) on the state-required standardized test.

I had decided to switch to Saxon for next year, and I recently had the girls take the Saxon placement test (an older test, I think...I found it online...1999), and they both placed into Math 87. BUT... one of the girls then informed me that she had used that exact textbook at her previous school! I checked her records, and found that she had indeed completed Math 87 (with a 74 average for the year) and had then transitioned into Algebra 1/2 before coming to me... So apparently there was little retention, since she placed into 87 on the placement test I gave.

So.... now I'm collecting info regarding the CLE math program--I was thinking CLE Math 700, but from what I'm reading that might be too advanced???? I could give them the CLE placement test, but since these aren't my own children, I would have to schedule it with their parents, and that's a big undertaking considering it's now summer and there are family vacations and working parents' schedules to be considered, etc, etc. So that's why I asked for input from those who've BTDT. FWIW, I'm also considering ABeka Basic Math (7th) and BJU Fundamentals of Math (7th). Thoughts???

Edited by ereks mom

Well, my oldest placed 3 years lower in CLE, but that's because he was totally gaming the system and didn't learn anything in TT. My daughter placed a year lower in CLE than she was in TT. I am so glad we changed. They actually seem to be learning something and it's easier for me to keep track of their progress,

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

Well, my oldest placed 3 years lower in CLE, but that's because he was totally gaming the system and didn't learn anything in TT. My daughter placed a year lower in CLE than she was in TT. I am so glad we changed. They actually seem to be learning something and it's easier for me to keep track of their progress,

Thanks for this! I'm glad to learn that your children are making progress with CLE. 😊

I forgot to mention that we don't use the CDs for TT; I go through the lesson each day with the girls and we work the practice problems together and they do the problem set for homework. The next day, we go over the previous night's homework and i help them rework any missed problems. It seemed to work well, but then they scored 2 years below grade level on the standardized test.

I'd be wondering where the disconnect is and trying to determine that.  Hopping curriculum may or may not help, depending on what was causing the trip up.  Maybe they just needed a tighter spiral review but if they have already done Saxon and working one on one with you through TT they are still apparently behind in some way I would wonder WHERE and WHY specifically.  I would look at the details if at all possible.  Is it certain types of math problems?  Computation errors?  Not as solid as they appear on certain foundational concepts?  Tests freak them out?  They were having a really bad day?  Dyscalculia?  I would want to really delve in and find out what the issue is.

By the way, we switched from TT to CLE, too, but at an earlier stage than CLE 7 so my responses may not net you much.  I will say I love CLE.  I would absolutely give the placement test, though, especially since it doesn't seem clear why there has been a disconnect or where the breakdown is.  Also, CLE introduces several concepts in small increments way earlier than some other math programs so they may place low but that may just mean they weren't exposed to specific topics in the placement test, not that they are genuinely that far behind across the board.  Study the placement test closely to find out where they may be struggling.  If they do well in other areas but trip up in one or two specific sections you could do a review of those specific topics then start them with the review light unit for the next level up and see how they do.  CLE is easy to accelerate as long as the student is solid on the material so if CLE ends up working well and whatever issues they were struggling with are effectively identified and addressed they should be able to move forward at a faster pace later on (in case they need to).

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 2

We started using CLE when DD15 was in fifth grade. Math had always been challenging for her, and CLE ended up being a good fit. At that time, she placed into TT 5 and CLE 400 levels. So I agree that CLE is likely going to be a lower placement level than TT.

It sounds like these students are having great difficulty with math. Have they been tested for disabilities?

• Like 2

We started using CLE when DD15 was in fifth grade. Math had always been challenging for her, and CLE ended up being a good fit. At that time, she placed into TT 5 and CLE 400 levels. So I agree that CLE is likely going to be a lower placement level than TT.

It sounds like these students are having great difficulty with math. Have they been tested for disabilities?

One of the girls almost certainly has learning disabilities, but her mom seems to be in denial. The other is normally a capable student with no apparent learning issues, but she is extremely flippant about her schoolwork, and to top it off, she was diagnosed with Type I Diabetes in January and missed a lot of school days as a result. Edited by ereks mom

Well, here is my thoughts on the Saxon. 74% is considered barely passing, and you don't know if the school did Saxon properly. Algebra 1/2 covers the same type of pre-Algebra work that 87 does and would make sense as the next course. Either TT didn't have much new or wasn't a good fit. (I am not sure how it compares to Saxon for the levels)

If you move to CLE for 700, you would likely need to change to something after a few years as they don't have the same format for the later courses)

I would either go with Algebra 1/2 going at their pace, or If you don't think incremental is right I would consider maybe Math-U-See (mastery) (note, I have never used Math-u-see).

I would try to figure out if there is something causing difficulties...

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1