Menu

What are the easiest recipes/meals you have in your bag of tricks?

ILiveInFlipFlops

Shakshouka, which is some sort of tomato sauce with eggs poached in it. I'm the only person who likes this, because the people who like eggs don't like tomatoes and vice versa, but it's really fast so screw them.

I like your attitude!  :thumbup1:

Edited by goldberry

Fried potatoes with cut up hotdogs, then eggs scrambled in the mess was our version.  Never considered spaghetti in there!

Tacos, chicken fajitas (we just cook onions and peppers then add and cook the chicken-- no seasoning), sloppy joes.

Have a Schwann's man in your area?  They are high quality in my book for fast food.  They have frozen tamales or chicken kiev/chicken cordon bleu.  My dh just needs the chicken tenders and a microwave baked potato for a meal. :)

Italian sausages cooked through with a sauce made from catsup, coffee and worcestershire sauce.  One of my favorites.  You could easily add onions and peppers.

BLTs.  Taco salad with precooked taco meat from the freezer.  Black beans heated with cumin over rice--topped with onion, tomatoes, lettuce, crushed taco chips, etc.

Fresh sliced tomatoes and corn on the cob.  Ate this at least once a summer as a kid after picking tomatoes.   :drool5:

Edited by Tina
  • Like 1

What?!?! I never even thought of using my mixer to shred chicken! Thank you so much for sharing! :)

I finally caved and bought a kitchenaid stand mixer for the SINGLE purpose of shredding chicken breasts. BEST PURCHASE EVER. I hate dealing with meat, touching it looking at it, anything other than eating it. I poach 6 chicken breasts at a time now and shred them in the mixer. I barely have to touch them. Then freeze in baggies for recipes.

I looked at some youtube videos and one lady used her hand mixer and beater attachments to shred chicken. So, I am going to try that before ordering a paddle attachment for my mixer.

Um...what? Is there some special attachment for this? Or special hook/paddle? I hate hate hate shredding chicken, it takes me forever. And I have a lovely Kitchenaid just sitting around looking for jobs to do.

It's the coolest thing!

What?!?! I never even thought of using my mixer to shred chicken! Thank you so much for sharing! :)

Well, rock my world. Guess what I will be doing this evening? I also just bought myself one of those ground beef breaker upper tools, so maybe I'll spend an afternoon this week socking away cooked meat in the deep freeze. 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 1

I had to do some easy meals for this week so thought I would type it out here...

Bought or had on hand:

3 large rotisserie chickens

big pack of ground beef

eggs

gold potatoes

cooked turkey sausage crumbles

rice

frozen broccoli, spinach. lettuce and tomato were already on hand

Made:

Ground beef--split in half and made taco meat (homemade seasoning) and Korean beef

Cubed and roasted the potatoes

Made a large batch of steamed rice

Tonight (Mon) we ate the rotisserie chicken with roasted potatoes and a veggie (picked all leftover meat off the chickens)

Tues: Korean beef over rice with broccoli

Wed: Eggs with roasted potatoes, spinach and turkey sausage (maybe some cheese, too)

Thurs: Tacos

Fri: Leftover rotisserie chicken with rice and eggs for chicken fried rice, add broccoli and matchstick carrots, too, since I have those

Sat: More rotisserie chicken for chicken tortilla soup using recipe I posted here (cans of stuff!)

Sun: I do not cook  LOL

All of these will be super easy to just reheat or make and add the trimmings/sides.  This is how I roll when 2 kids are at camp!   But sometimes when everyone is here, too.  Just dinners, obviously.

• Like 1

It's good for pork and beef today's that you want to serve shredded. I like to make a pork roast, shred the meat, then stash it in the freezer in meal-sized portions. I usually get 4 dinners plus leftovers from this. Usually I do pulled pork sandwiches or a Mexican meal. I once did some asian wrap thing that everyone liked, but I lost the recipe and keep forgetting to find it.

Spaghetti and eggs. I cook spaghetti noodles (Or plunge leftover spaghetti into boiling water for a minute to reheat), toss it into a frying pan that has some melted butter, then beat some eggs (I usually do two per adult serving and one per kid serving) and toss in with the spaghetti. Cook until eggs are done, and sprinkle parmesan on top if I'm feeling fancy. Other wise just salt and pepper and eat. 

It's our standard 'just got home from a trip or a long day' meal because we always have eggs and spaghetti noodles in the house. 

It sounds gross but it's really good. My daughter throws in some frozen peas at the end and has been known to add diced ham and stuff but I'm a purist. 

Thank you for this idea! I made stuffed shells for dinner, but I always make a separate pasta for my child who eats gluten-free. We were out of alfredo sauce, so inspired by you I made what I call egg-fredo. I wasn't sure if my picky eater would like it, so I offered to add a little bit of homemade red sauce. He tasted it and was happy to eat it as is without any other sauce. His brother was a bit jealous and offered to finish up any of the egg-fredo that didn't get eaten. I'll definitely make this again!

A big, fatty pork butt or shoulder, salt and pepper. Bake at 300 in a covered cast iron pan for the day. Makes tons of meat for pulled pork, pork nachos, on and on.