Menu

Garlic cheese grits problem ~ can't find roll of Kraft garlic cheese! need help

I have a recipe for garlic cheese grits that I am wanting to make for brunch before a football game on Saturday. Here is the recipe:

Garlic Cheese Grits

1 cup uncooked grits

1 Tbs salt

4 cups water

1 stick butter

1 roll Kraft garlic cheese (this is 6 oz.), cubed

8 oz. grated cheddar cheese

1 Tbs Worcestshire sauce

Cook grits in salted water. When done, add remaining ingredients. Stir until butter and cheese melt. Transfer to a greased casserole. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 - 20 minutes. (I do these ahead and refrigerate them, so I bake them longer)

So, NOWHERE can I find the 6 oz. roll of Kraft garlic cheese! I plan to substite plain ol' Velveeta, but I am trying to figure out how much garlic powder to add??? Any ideas? I was thinking 1/2 tsp? Or should I do 1 tsp?

It is so frustrating when I cannot locate an ingredient that I need!!! I have looked everywhere I can!

TIA!

I have that same recipe and was very sad when I could no longer find the garlic cheese in stores. Now I just finely chop some real garlic and add it to the grits while they're cooking, and that works pretty well. I usually use cheddar cheese, but there's no reason Velveeta wouldn't work if you prefer it. Have never tried using garlic powder, but I have used the crushed garlic you can buy in a jar, and it works, too. Real garlic is always my preference, though :).

Happy cooking!

SBP

I appreciate all your responses. The recipe DOES have cheddar cheese in it, but also the Kraft cheese. So, it has both real cheese and "cheese food." And, all of you have told me to add fresh garlic or garlic powder, but no one has told me how much!! Will someone PLEASE give me a quanity? I am not very good at ad libbing my cooking!

I would say for a serving for two we use 1/4 cup grated cheddar, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, a pinch of salt and pepper, 1/2 tablespoon butter, dash of tobasco. But all of these can be adjusted to taste. So, now you can just keep adding those for the serving size you want.

Thanks for posting this! I really HATE that Kraft quit making this product :(

Found this online:

http://www.the-wood-family.org/tupperware_avalanche/?cat=47

Just as a note, “Kraft Garlic Cheese†is the most logged search term on this blog. So it’s possible you reached this page looking for a substitute for the discontinued Kraft Garlic Cheese rolls. Try this: For each 6 ounce roll, substitute either 6 ounces of Velveeta or Cheez Wiz from a jar, plus 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder.

Karen

(who's been there, done that in trying to find substitutes for recipes when I wasn't comfortable "winging it":001_smile:)