Menu

Wyoming---travel and advice

Aura

Ds wants to go to Central Wyoming College in Riverton, Wyoming. He plans on studying equine management. 

If he was going to stay in Georgia, he could use the state's scholarship (Hope) for college and even continue to live at home while he's going. But none of that is available if he goes to Wyoming. So....

Any ideas on how to travel there cheap so we can visit the college?

Anyone live in Wyoming that can give some local advice for him?

For travel, Southwest Airlines has a route map you can use to check flights so you can try different cities near there to find out which is the cheapest to fly into. Frontier airlines is also good/value airline, not zero customer service like Spirit (don't fly Spirit unless you have no choice, or if you do choose them, research all the tricks to make it okay). 

Beyond that, I have no advice, but best of luck to him!

• Like 1

Depending on how much time you have, you could fly into Denver, CO and drive up to Riverton (but that is nearly 6 hours each way).

Or, if you are okay with small turbo prop planes you could fly to Denver, CO and then fly on Great Lakes Airlines direct into Riverton, WY.

They fly turbo props - the Beech 1900, which seats 9 or 19 or the Embraer Brasilia, which seats around 30. They also have a CRJ - jet, but I do not know if they fly that into a small airport like Riverton.

DH used to work for them as a pilot. This is why I know all about them. They are headquartered in Cheyenne, WY and they service the ski towns.

• Like 1

Casper is the second largest city in WY and I know Delta and United both fly into it.  It's only 2 hours from Riverton.  I enjoyed the little time we spent in Wyoming.  Our trip took us from SD, through Casper to Riverton, to the Tetons then south a bit to Idaho Falls.  I think I remember Riverton being very nice and quaint, but I can't say for certain...all the towns kind of melted together after a few days :)

One thing to keep in mind is that Casper may not get daily flights year round. It's been a few years but that was an issue for us wanting to go to Wyoming once. Flying into Denver and then driving really may be your best bet.

• Like 1

I had my son apply to the two distant colleges he was interested in and went to look at them after he was accepted. No use spending a boat load of money going if the student isn't accepted. I would also look at the cost of the school and is it really affordable for your child. When figuring out the cost of the school, also add in travel costs for the years your student is enrolled. Air fare to and from school two to three times a year adds up quickly. In our case even though our son wanted to go to the school 600 miles away it became clear that starting at the community college and living at home the first two years made the most sense financially.

Option B would be to turn the trip into a family vacation! The Tetons are beautiful as is Yellowstone!

• Like 2