What to do after Singapore Level 5?

grandma5

For those of you who have used Singapore for primary mathematics (and it
worked well for your student) what is your recommendation for the next
program to use?

We are quickly moving through level 5 and I'm starting to prepare for the
next step. Have you used either of the other two math programs Singapore has
(New Elementary or Dimensions)?

Do you recommend either or another program? Pros and cons?

We are using and liking Dimensions Math. You definitely need the workbook. I would liken the workbook for Dimensions Math to being like a combination of the workbook in Primary and the Intensive Practice (I used the US Edition, not Standards, FWIW). They have errata on their site, and you will want that as well.

The worked solutions are good, but I will note that they are not as consistent in approach to problem solving in the answer key as they were in the elementary level (at least it seems that way to me). I think that is typical of many math texts. Someone pointed out that with middle and high school math, a professor often writes a text, and then grad students make the answer key, so it's not unusual to have some "Wait, they didn't do it this way in the lesson."

I am trying to remember what is out for level 6--it seems like maybe there is some component available for 7th and 8th that is not available for 6th, but I think they are working on it. I think some students could go from US Edition 5th grade straight to Dimensions 7th grade, but you might want to check out the scope and sequence, samples, etc.

• Like 1

My oldest did DM 7A-8A before I realized that she hadn't retained any of the algebra so we started algebra 1 over with Lial's.

My 2nd did a few chapters of Art of Problem Solving Pre-Algebra but he thought it was just ok. I ended up switching him to Elements of Mathematics, which he likes much better.

One option that I wish had been available for my oldest is the Math in Focus middle school series. I think that would've been a much better "fit" for her than Singapore DM.

• Like 2

My oldest did DM 7A-8A before I realized that she hadn't retained any of the algebra so we started algebra 1 over with Lial's.

My 2nd did a few chapters of Art of Problem Solving Pre-Algebra but he thought it was just ok. I ended up switching him to Elements of Mathematics, which he likes much better.

One option that I wish had been available for my oldest is the Math in Focus middle school series. I think that would've been a much better "fit" for her than Singapore DM.

I didn't know they had a middle school series--thanks! (Not sure my kids will be doing all the same math.)

In some ways, there is less explicit teaching in Dimensions Math than with the earlier Singapore levels, but to say so doesn't really do the "difference" justice--it makes it sound deficient, and I really think it's just a different way of looking at things. But I can see where it would work much better for some kinds of students than others. It definitely caters to math intuition. The workbooks ask the student to stretch a little bit at a time without always showing them the explicit connection, but the pieces are all really there to solve the problems. I do think it's like the IP books for the early grades in that regard.

My kiddo that is using Dimensions Math has particularly strong logic and fluid reasoning skills. If he needed more "words," it might not be as good of a fit.

I didn't know they had a middle school series--thanks! (Not sure my kids will be doing all the same math.)

In some ways, there is less explicit teaching in Dimensions Math than with the earlier Singapore levels, but to say so doesn't really do the "difference" justice--it makes it sound deficient, and I really think it's just a different way of looking at things. But I can see where it would work much better for some kinds of students than others. It definitely caters to math intuition. The workbooks ask the student to stretch a little bit at a time without always showing them the explicit connection, but the pieces are all really there to solve the problems. I do think it's like the IP books for the early grades in that regard.

My kiddo that is using Dimensions Math has particularly strong logic and fluid reasoning skills. If he needed more "words," it might not be as good of a fit.

Singapore tracks kids into different types of high schools after Year 6 and DM is based on the curricula used for the highest track. It's not just college prep but STEM-focused college prep. My DD is bright but not "mathy". DM left her feeling stupid. I knew enough not to try AoPS with her but I made the incorrect assumption that just because Singapore Primary Math had worked well for her, DM would as well. That turned out not to be the case.

My DS probably would do well with DM but since I went back to school myself, I prefer the self-teaching format of Elements of Mathematics.

• Like 1

Singapore tracks kids into different types of high schools after Year 6 and DM is based on the curricula used for the highest track. It's not just college prep but STEM-focused college prep. My DD is bright but not "mathy". DM left her feeling stupid. I knew enough not to try AoPS with her but I made the incorrect assumption that just because Singapore Primary Math had worked well for her, DM would as well. That turned out not to be the case.

My DS probably would do well with DM but since I went back to school myself, I prefer the self-teaching format of Elements of Mathematics.

It is definitely more intense than the elementary stuff! It is deceptively simple looking at it.