Menu

nm

Will she get to meet other freshman?  It's always nice to have at least one friend before you arrive on campus.  

When my dd had a tough time away from home last summer, I encouraged her binge watch her favorite TV shows in the evening.  

• Like 3

Any tips to help her adjust?

Get involved.  Even if she's feeling bummed and a little homesick, see what opportunities are out there to do things (I'm not talking about parties) and go out and do them.  My kids have all discovered some wonderful things at their colleges - dance, juggling, sign language, role playing games, composting, A/V, lab research - whatever they think might be interesting.

That leads to friends, and friends lead to a wonderful college experience.

'Tis much tougher to get friends when one hides out in their dorm room or library all the time.  Yes, one has to study, but not 24/7.

Also note:  Your roommate doesn't have to be your best friend.  If the two of you have different interests, that's ok.

With a summer class the number of potential friends might be more limited, but at least head out and see who's around.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 2

Research what her schedule is going to be like. Most summer programs are designed to ease the kids into college life combining academics with fun stuff like field trips to get to know the area. There is likely a plan to ease her in already.

• Like 2

Will she get to meet other freshman?  It's always nice to have at least one friend before you arrive on campus.  

When my dd had a tough time away from home last summer, I encouraged her binge watch her favorite TV shows in the evening.  

Yes, all of the freshmen getting this particular scholarship will be together and in the classes together, designed just for them.

• Like 3

:grouphug: 

Send her mail and care packages. 

Are you close enough that YOU can go visit her?  Maybe plan a few visits to take her out to lunch/dinner. 

I hope to visit about once a month while she is in school.  I may plan more visits if she is struggling deeply.  She will be about 2.5-3 hours way (depending on traffic) so I can drive it in a day if I need to.  She's also considered bringing Amtrak home some weekends.  We have never used Amtrak so we'll see what that experience is like.

I hope to visit about once a month while she is in school. I may plan more visits if she is struggling deeply. She will be about 2.5-3 hours way (depending on traffic) so I can drive it in a day if I need to. She's also considered bringing Amtrak home some weekends. We have never used Amtrak so we'll see what that experience is like.

May I (gently) make a suggestion? How long is the summer class? If it's just five weeks, I don't think I'd make a visit at all or encourage a trip home if she is coming home for a week in between this class and when she starts her orientation. It would give her time to adjust and sort through any issues on her own. You can provide moral support via texts, phone calls, and care packages. I would limit my calls to short ones as well except for maybe a lengthy once a week. My recollection is that there is no specific reason (medical, psychological, etc) that she can't be away from you that long other than the fact that she has never done it previously. For someone who is 16, 17, 18??? (not sure of her age), I would imagine she could do it. I think building her confidence that she CAN do it is important. It's fine to acknowledge her homesickness, but I wouldn't "feed" it, if that makes sense.

Others may disagree (and disagree strongly) - just my $0.02. Not sure how else to build her confidence that she can be away unless she truly *is* away.

Hugs to both of you. I know it can be hard.

Edited by Hoggirl
  • Like 4

May I (gently) make a suggestion? How long is the summer class? If it's just five weeks, I don't think I'd make a visit at all or encourage a trip home if she is coming home for a week in between this class and when she starts her orientation. It would give her time to adjust and sort through any issues on her own. You can provide moral support via texts, phone calls, and care packages. I would limit my calls to short ones as well except for maybe a lengthy once a week. My recollection is that there is no specific reason (medical, psychological, etc) that she can't be away from you that long other than the fact that she has never done it previously. For someone who is 16, 17, 18??? (not sure of her age), I would imagine she could do it. I think building her confidence that she CAN do it is important. It's fine to acknowledge her homesickness, but I wouldn't "feed" it, if that makes sense.

Others may disagree (and disagree strongly) - just my $0.02. Not sure how else to build her confidence that she can be away unless she truly *is* away.

Hugs to both of you. I know it can be hard.

I think the summer program is 6 weeks and we were not planning to visit.  She will be home for one week before the semester begins.  We were thinking we would try to see her once a month during the actual school year.  She is 18.  Girls in general communicate a lot more with their moms than boys.  My son who is in high school does not text or talk to me as much as dd and many of my friends with boys DD's age do not know as much about their boy's lives.  I think this is a big difference between most boys and girls (it isn't true across the board).

I think the summer program is 6 weeks and we were not planning to visit. She will be home for one week before the semester begins. We were thinking we would try to see her once a month during the actual school year. She is 18. Girls in general communicate a lot more with their moms than boys. My son who is in high school does not text or talk to me as much as dd and many of my friends with boys DD's age do not know as much about their boy's lives. I think this is a big difference between most boys and girls (it isn't true across the board).

Oops. Trying to respond from my phone.

I misunderstood.

I hope she adjusts well. I would let her take the lead on frequency of visits. And, I might be unavailable if she wanted them too frequently. But, I find my opinions on such things are usually different from most. Probably because we are so far away from ds, such frequent visits would not be an option.

Yes, in my circles, girls definitely seem to be far more communicative than boys.

Edited by Hoggirl
  • Like 1