Menu

Update on DS's health and now...big state financial aid learning curve!

Familia

Hello everyone,

I communicated about our son's non-hodgkin's lymphoma way back in January. What a journey!

He received 5-day inpatient chemo every 3 weeks for the last 5 months, and now he is in complete remission.

Your offering of concern, prayers, and advice was a great comfort to me.

Now, we are on to the next thing...beginning at the nearby big state school in the fall. He applied late d/t not knowing what this fall might have brought, and we were too wrapped up in treatment to give college the attention that I now see it deserved.

He is transferring from a liberal arts school whose financial aid/scholarship offerings were exclusively in-house and straightforward.

I am having difficulty wrapping my mind around how to communicate with such a large entity to get him the most money/help possible.

Here is what I know:

-he will not live in a dorm, he dreams of an apartment to save the 45 min.-1 hour commute...$$$...yeah...dreams. We are busy scrambling for another car right now since we didn't need that when he was away.

-he had just been accepted and received notice of a 25% of tuition unsubsidized gov't loan

-he is to be notified soon of an automatic 10% transfer scholarship

-he applied to a fair number of private scholarships for cancer students that have, as of yet, resulted in nil. (the blessing of those is that it gave him something to 'do' during treatment)

-we will help as much as we can, and he has money in the bank, but we want (obviously) as much help as possible

-he has about 7K from his other school to pay them when he graduates

My questions:

-we don't want to take on an unsubsidized loan do we? When we 'could' afford to pay? We do not HAVE to take this if they've offered it, right?

-what do I say to ask for more help, or do I must I just accept their offer. We were able to negotiate a little at the private school.

-how do I find other sources of scholarship possibilities this late? He has a 3.47 GPA.

Please accept my humble thanks for your concern over his health and help educate me about FA at state schools!

Glad to hear your son is better!!!

Since you know the specific school you're talking about, call them (financial aid office) and make sure you're talking with an adult - not a student worker.  Explain your situation and ask for their recommendation.  We've always found financial aid to be super helpful with specific questions.

And no... you don't have to accept any loans offered.  You can pay or get your own or whatever instead if that's preferable.

• Like 2

Yes, the unsubsidized loan is "worse" than the subsidized one. However, if you do not have a another way to pay (out of savings or cash flow), the unsubsidized government loan has better terms and payment plans than anything you will find on the private market.

• Like 2

Your DS doesn't have to take the loan if he/you don't want to do so. My DD was offered the us subsidized loan every year and we chose not to use it for 3 years. You don't even have to decide right away, but there is a set date each year to request the loan. The loan is taken out by the student not the parents. My DD is managing hers all on her own. I don't even know how/where to make payments?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...