Menu

Shopping for tall mother of the bride dress...

KatieJ

How tall are we talking about? Nordstrom Rack stores have quite a few semi-formal day and evening dresses that are long enough for someone 6ft tall. Bloomingdales stores have some as well but not much choices. Neiman Marcus has very dressy long ones.

• Like 1

I agree - define "tall".   2dd is 5'11" - she bought a dress off the rack because they expect someone to wear 3-4" heels.  she wore flipflops, but she could have easily worn low heels.

nordstrom - or such retailer. they have  mom of bride dresses this time of year.  I actually ended up buying one (new) off ebay of a previous season's style. even dsil's mom (who has been the "mother" before) commented it's getting very hard to find a dress for average height.

discount bridal - etc.

and many many many of the dresses - are knee length. or they have a choice of the same dress - knee length or floor length.

I thinks she is 5 ' 9 1/2.... She is Considering tea length, but the grooms mom is wearing floor length. I told her to wear what she is comfortable in. The grooms mom's photo isn't going in her wall.

She showed me a floor length she bought. With flats on, too short.

She's looked at Nordstrom rack.

Edited by KatieinMich

Could you buy two of the same dress and make a ruffle or fashionable extension for the hem? It's easier than sewing a whole new dress.

If she has time, several designers/companies will let you order a longer length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She has time, but is recovering from serious neck surgery and has very little stamina. Which is why I think any sewing might have to happen at my house.

Just tell her to keep looking. I am 6'0" tall and was just mother of the groom. I looked at every bridal wear store in my city. Just looked up bridal wear/formal wear online and printed off the list. Set aside a day and went to them all. I got an off the rack dress that was long enough. The saleswoman said that the dresses are made long so that they can be shortened to whatever length the buyer wants. But the as-is length was perfect for me. As a bonus, they were discontinuing formal dresses and everything was $25. I got so many complements on my dress. I got the same length as mother of the bride, she wore a silver color and I wore navy. I was looking for something light colored, to be more similar to hers, but I didn't feel comfortable in anything I found. When I found this dress and texted a picture to my sister to ask her what she thought, she said' "Buy it. It's the first dress you look happy to be in."

So I would encourage friend to be persistent in looking and to find something she's comfortable in. All of the 'regular' stores, like Nordstrom Rack, Marshalls, etc did not have dresses long enough for me. But all of the formal wear stores did, they are made long intentionally. Hopefully your friend will find one that doesn't even need hemmed.

I thinks she is 5 ' 9 1/2.... She is Considering tea length, but the grooms mom is wearing floor length. I told her to wear what she is comfortable in. The grooms mom's photo isn't going in her wall.

She showed me a floor length she bought. With flats on, too short.

She's looked at Nordstrom rack.

If she likes it, then could she wear heels?  I'm thinking this would make it look like the length she wants.   No one is going to point out that one mom is floor length and one is tea length.  Now floor length and mini dress is probably a different story :-)