Menu

Saxon vs. Singapore

I grew up with Saxon and loved it and plan to use it for our kids...but what are the selling points of Singapore?  How does it compare, since both are suggested for classical? Why might one prefer it? (Obviously that's a subjective question, but I'm interested anyway.) 

Singapore is mastery vs. spiral. It uses more of an Asian style math which emphasizes learning the underlying concepts vs. teaching algorithms. I seriously get panicky to this day seeing a Saxon book. I truly hated Saxon growing up but it clearly works for a lot of people.

Edited by CrunchyGirl

I've used both for several years, for different children. I can tell you why they worked for those children.

DD -- strong math student but doesn't necessarily "speak" math. Likes math okay but doesn't love it. Highly auditory learner who is very strong in verbal and language skills. No interest in little patterns and cool stuff. Hates cutesy or silly. Saxon was straightforward and didn't attempt to be fun, colorful, or cutesy. Just the facts. No graphics to be distracting. She did appreciate the subtle humor in some of the word problems, like, "Edmund, Susan, Peter, and Lucy did such and such." Saxon was very good at teaching algorithms and steps, and the spiral approach meant she could learn a topic and "chew" on it by practicing it for a few days, which was helpful when learning algebra concepts with multiple steps. Her test scores have been above grade level. However, I felt that Saxon was, at least for her, a little weak on the "why," so we attempted AOPS geometry this past year in ninth grade. She has no trouble transitioning to it because like Saxon, it has a lot of words on the page. She ranked it as hard but really liked it and has asked to continue using it.

DS1 -- very strong math student who "speaks" math and gets concepts quickly. Loves math, loves little patterns and tricks. Math test scores very high. Appreciates few words on a page and some graphics to break things up. Not at all auditory but very highly visual. Did well if I opened the Singapore book and sat beside him while he looked at the teaching examples, and then I answered any questions he had. Doesn't need a lot of review and practice. Singapore works problems the way he naturally thinks. I switched him to AOPS Prealgebra this past year in sixth. He initially didn't like all the words on the page or working on his own, but he has come to enjoy AOPS. He likes the challenge it gives his brain. Singapore's bar models proved very helpful in transitioning him to algebra concepts; they helped him visualize what was happening so that he could write the number sentences.

Singapore would have driven DD bananas, I think, and I think Saxon would have bored DS1.

I've used both for several years, for different children. I can tell you why they worked for those children.

DD -- strong math student but doesn't necessarily "speak" math. Likes math okay but doesn't love it. Highly auditory learner who is very strong in verbal and language skills. No interest in little patterns and cool stuff. Hates cutesy or silly. Saxon was straightforward and didn't attempt to be fun, colorful, or cutesy. Just the facts. No graphics to be distracting. She did appreciate the subtle humor in some of the word problems, like, "Edmund, Susan, Peter, and Lucy did such and such." Saxon was very good at teaching algorithms and steps, and the spiral approach meant she could learn a topic and "chew" on it by practicing it for a few days, which was helpful when learning algebra concepts with multiple steps. Her test scores have been above grade level. However, I felt that Saxon was, at least for her, a little weak on the "why," so we attempted AOPS geometry this past year in ninth grade. She has no trouble transitioning to it because like Saxon, it has a lot of words on the page. She ranked it as hard but really liked it and has asked to continue using it.

DS1 -- very strong math student who "speaks" math and gets concepts quickly. Loves math, loves little patterns and tricks. Math test scores very high. Appreciates few words on a page and some graphics to break things up. Not at all auditory but very highly visual. Did well if I opened the Singapore book and sat beside him while he looked at the teaching examples, and then I answered any questions he had. Doesn't need a lot of review and practice. Singapore works problems the way he naturally thinks. I switched him to AOPS Prealgebra this past year in sixth. He initially didn't like all the words on the page or working on his own, but he has come to enjoy AOPS. He likes the challenge it gives his brain. Singapore's bar models proved very helpful in transitioning him to algebra concepts; they helped him visualize what was happening so that he could write the number sentences.

Singapore would have driven DD bananas, I think, and I think Saxon would have bored DS1.

This was great, thank you! I'll just buy Saxon one at a time, then, since it sounds like both might very well have their place.  Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

We used Singapore Math in the elementary years, then transitioned to Saxon for Pre-algebra and up. We also supplement with Beast Academy and AoPS and other math contest activities.

My dc and I appreciate the built-in review of Saxon to keep concepts fresh. We'll adapt the number of questions per lesson we do. 

I used Singapore in 1-4 grades. My OS loved it, did well, caught on and moved on. Great... My OD who is a year behind him, just kept falling behind. She didn't catch on as quickly, and once singapore was done teaching a concept, you rarely saw it again. We have since had her tested for dyslexia, and she is definately on that spectrum and struggles with just memorizing and going on. Midway through 4th grade, we switched them both to Saxon (she in 4th, he in 5th). It was "behind" singapore, but was really good for my daughter to review. And the repetition was exactly what she needed. Although my son loved the fast pace of singapore, he loved being able to teach himself. The lessons are written to the student, and he truly excelled at that. My daughter does all 25-30 questions on the worksheet, and although she would miss a good 8-10... she would get those same type of problems on the next days work so by the time she took the test, she'd do surprisingly well. 
NOW... I have a younger set of kids... going into 1st and 2nd, and thought I'd switch them over to Saxon now instead of waiting... however, I do not like the younger Saxon "way". I don't know why, but my kids don't like the manipulatives. They'd rather write it down and get it done. I can't believe that. Sometimes I show them just for their eyes to see it, but they are more paper and pencil type. So, I've decided to stick with the early Singapore and switch to the later Saxon (4th and up). Best of both worlds, right? haha