Menu

Composition and Lit 8th grade help?

sbgrace

We are rising 8th graders. 

I'm just about done with our current composition program, and I don't know where to go next. I use CLE reading, but haven't done any formal literature.  

Composition: We're beyond the skills in IEW, but did it for a season was great in that it had clear assignments--my kids didn't complain and we were consistently writing. I think it worked because it didn't seem like it came from mom's head like a lot of our writing within the curriculum style stuff.  So I think I need something with clear assignments that will prepare us for high school work. 

Literature: We use CLE reading, and I plan to continue that. But we haven't done any formal literature. I would like something, preferably enjoyable, where we can step into it without previous experience. Again, something to get us ready for HS level work if possible. 

Because one child has special needs, it's nice when the other can do his work independently and go over it with me when it works in the schedule. I won't be hands off with either child, but semi-independent type curriculum makes it less likely one child's needs will hold the other back.  The special needs kid shines in LA, so this isn't a must. But it would be nice if it's not entirely tied to my having to teach. 

Maybe Brave Writer's Help for High School for composition? It's written to the student. But if you liked IEW, it might not be exactly your style. Or... you might enjoy having a different take on composition.

Mosdos for lit? Or just reading books? We like the Glencoe Lit Guides.

• Like 1

I cannot remember the name but there is a literature program that follows IEW. Maybe Excellece in Lit? I thought I saw it in the IEW website recently. I'm on my phone so cannot link.

I own Help for High School--I forgot about that one. I will look it over this week-end. It's not that I like the formulaic/scripted stuff like IEW, contrary to that actually, but it got done.  I do think we need something that doesn't need as much me, outside of feedback and similar partnered type stuff. 

I wasn't sure about Oak Meadow being instructive enough when I looked at it, but I do like the idea of something different than what we've done I think--something less "bits and pieces" and mom created/managed. I'll look at it again. 

Is Excellence in Lit something we could just jump into? I see it's pretty independent. I'll look into the other mentions for Lit.

Thank you all! 

Excellence in Lit  starts in 8th grade & offers five years worth of material. You can do them in any order, jumping in & out as you wish. You can pair modules of different 'years' of material with other modules of different 'years' of material all you like. Someone took all the books in the five years of material & color coded them by the 4-year history rotation, showing how you could pick & choose from the different levels.

DD#1 used 4-5 of the units from the American Lit level and then I filled in with short stories & other books to make a full literature credit for her 9th grade year. There are nine modules (covering one book/author - with another book as 'honors'), I think, in each level - with the idea you cover a book per month. Each module is stand alone, so you can use one, two, five, or all nine modules in a book. I've never used the Honors option, so I don't know anything about it other than I know there is another book listed for each module. I don't know if you do that book in addition or instead of the regular book.

I think there are samples available either on the website I linked, IEW's site (American Lit sample), or Rainbow Resources. There is no separate teacher book. It is written to the student. It is pretty inexpensive, but again, there is really no writing taught in the actual program.

There is also Analytical Grammar's Beyond the Book Report and Sharon Watson's The Power in Your Hands. I haven't used either one, but if you haven't found what you are looking for, those are two more to investigate.

Excellence in Lit  starts in 8th grade & offers five years worth of material. You can do them in any order, jumping in & out as you wish. You can pair modules of different 'years' of material with other modules of different 'years' of material all you like. Someone took all the books in the five years of material & color coded them by the 4-year history rotation, showing how you could pick & choose from the different levels.

DD#1 used 4-5 of the units from the American Lit level and then I filled in with short stories & other books to make a full literature credit for her 9th grade year. There are nine modules (covering one book/author - with another book as 'honors'), I think, in each level - with the idea you cover a book per month. Each module is stand alone, so you can use one, two, five, or all nine modules in a book. I've never used the Honors option, so I don't know anything about it other than I know there is another book listed for each module. I don't know if you do that book in addition or instead of the regular book.

I think there are samples available either on the website I linked, IEW's site (American Lit sample), or Rainbow Resources. There is no separate teacher book. It is written to the student. It is pretty inexpensive, but again, there is really no writing taught in the actual program.

There is also Analytical Grammar's Beyond the Book Report and Sharon Watson's The Power in Your Hands. I haven't used either one, but if you haven't found what you are looking for, those are two more to investigate.

I just talked to them at IEW.  They said they do not have a Lit. program for 7-8 grade.  Is Excellence in Lit not an IEW product?  

Pam

I just talked to them at IEW.  They said they do not have a Lit. program for 7-8 grade.  Is Excellence in Lit not an IEW product?  

Pam

They sell three (of five) Excellence in Literature guides. They don't carry the 8th grade - Intro to Lit product. It isn't an IEW-made product. Janice Campbell is the author and has her own site. Rainbow Resources carries all five levels. You can get the ebook or print books from Janice Campbell's site. (I linked JC's site & the product on Rainbow in my last post. I linked one of the guides (American Lit) on IEW's site.)

• Like 1