Menu

OK, Help out An Old, Technology-Illiterate

Reefgazer

What kind of Messages are you getting? Those are SMS Text Messages and are not Twitter messages? With Twitter the @ before the name of the recipient would go in the address as the first part of the message.

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I tried that and it said it may result in charges.  It didn't seem like a normal, local text message.

I would start a New Text message and put the 81011 in the To field (so that's the phone number the message is sent to....)

In the text part of the new meaaage, type
@abccompmay

Then press send.

• Like 1

If you are sending an SMS Text Message, the phone number you are sending to goes in the phone number field. The Text of your Message goes in the Message area. then, you click to send.

There is normally no "@" character in an SMS Text Message.  A Twitter message begins with addresses beginning with an "@" character. eg: @cnn.com would be the beginning of a Tweet to CNN

• Like 1

These are supposed to be simple text messages on my Galaxy.  The organization told me that's what I should type in to get messages. 

What kind of Messages are you getting? Those are SMS Text Messages and are not Twitter messages? With Twitter the @ before the name of the recipient would go in the address as the first part of the message.

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 1

These are supposed to be simple text messages on my Galaxy.  The organization told me that's what I should type in to get messages. 

Which Message App are you using to do this? I wonder if it thinks that you are sending MMS messages, or, if there is a fee (large) to send a message to that recipient.  I am using an old (2014) Samsung Galaxy and the App I use to send SMS text ,messages is Messages in Android 4.4.2  I think that is the default messaging app in this old version of the Android OS.

CONFIRM that you are using a standard SMS Messaging App.

Question: Can you send SMS Text messages to other numbers without issues?   

It may be that the number you are trying to send the message to is charging you, to participate in a contest or something?

• Like 1

I tried that and it said it may result in charges. It didn't seem like a normal, local text message.

Ok. That's a good sign. The charges warning means you did it correctly and your phone company is giving you a heads-up that you might get a charge. There a couple things (that I know of) that could be happening...

1) you put the @abccompany into the subject line of the text message and that automatically turns the message into MMS instead of SMS. Many carriers charge their customers to send MMS messages, so you get a warning. If this is the case, make sure the subject line is blank and the message is in the text part so it sends as an SMS.

2) that signing up (enrolling) in whatever you were signing up for may result in charges on your phone bill. Whether or not you get a charge depends on what you were signing up for - some services that use five digit numbers like this one are offering free stuff or notifications and others are for-fee services.

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

It's SMS, and I never had issues sending a text before to my phone contacts.  Never tried texting to someone where is says "80111 to @abccompany" though.

Which Message App are you using to do this? I wonder if it thinks that you are sending MMS messages, or, if there is a fee (large) to send a message to that recipient.  I am using an old (2014) Samsung Galaxy and the App I use to send SMS text ,messages is Messages in Android 4.4.2  I think that is the default messaging app in this old version of the Android OS.

CONFIRM that you are using a standard SMS Messaging App.

Question: Can you send SMS Text messages to other numbers without issues?   

It may be that the number you are trying to send the message to is charging you, to participate in a contest or something?

• Like 1

I'm definitely not doing the first.  The sign up is for our swim team; maybe they are charging for this, but it seems odd considering the cash they extract for the team fees.

Ok. That's a good sign. The charges warning means you did it correctly and your phone company is giving you a heads-up that you might get a charge. There a couple things (that I know of) that could be happening...

1) you put the @abccompany into the subject line of the text message and that automatically turns the message into MMS instead of SMS. Many carriers charge their customers to send MMS messages, so you get a warning. If this is the case, make sure the subject line is blank and the message is in the text part so it sends as an SMS.

2) that signing up (enrolling) in whatever you were signing up for may result in charges on your phone bill. Whether or not you get a charge depends on what you were signing up for - some services that use five digit numbers like this one are offering free stuff or notifications and others are for-fee services.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

The disclosure is for people who don't have unlimited texts. If your phone plan charges you per text received, you will get charged for the incoming texts from abccompany. Any charges for receiving texts will be paid by you. Abccompany isn't charging you or threatening to charge you for their sending the texts. They're warning you that the texts you sign up to receive get billed like any other incoming messages to your device.

• Like 2