Menu

Reading journal?

My eleven year old always has multiple books going at the same time, all over the house, which I think sometimes leads to things being forgotten and left unfinished. Not always a tragedy (I don't disallow "twaddle"), but as I'm also going to be adding a bunch of required and suggested reading in the coming year I wonder if anyone has anything special they use to help dc keep track of their reading. I'm hoping for a free printable, or maybe DIY suggestions. I'm also considering starting my own, to set an example and because I frankly need it almost as much as she does!

• Like 1

In the past we've used reading bookmarks.  I punch a hole in the top and then when they finish the book, they add the bookmark to a ring.  The kids LOVED seeing their rings fill up.  We used them for two years.  This year we tried using a reading folder - I printed out a picture of a bookshelf with books on it and then they fill in the title and color a "book" as they finish it.  This hasn't been nearly as motivating as the bookmarks.

I have templates for both and am willing to send them to you if you're interested.  :)

• Like 3

Our family struggles with physical journaling--so we have been using Good Reads. The app lets us scan the title then they give it a star rating and it goes on their "read" shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In the past we've used reading bookmarks.  I punch a hole in the top and then when they finish the book, they add the bookmark to a ring.  The kids LOVED seeing their rings fill up.  We used them for two years.  This year we tried using a reading folder - I printed out a picture of a bookshelf with books on it and then they fill in the title and color a "book" as they finish it.  This hasn't been nearly as motivating as the bookmarks.

I have templates for both and am willing to send them to you if you're interested.  :)

I have wanted to start keeping track of what dd reads, but she is resistant to writing a lot and she reads more than what I can keep track of. Plus we have 2 toddlers, so the idea of having her put books in a basket or some such when she's done will not work well here. Your idea of bookmarks might be novel enough to get her buy-in. Would you be willing to share templates with me?

• Like 1

I have wanted to start keeping track of what dd reads, but she is resistant to writing a lot and she reads more than what I can keep track of. Plus we have 2 toddlers, so the idea of having her put books in a basket or some such when she's done will not work well here. Your idea of bookmarks might be novel enough to get her buy-in. Would you be willing to share templates with me?

Sure, just message me your email and I will send them.  :)  I tried to attach it here, but it's a word file and apparently I don't have the necessary security clearance.  ;) 

In the past we've used reading bookmarks. I punch a hole in the top and then when they finish the book, they add the bookmark to a ring. The kids LOVED seeing their rings fill up. We used them for two years. This year we tried using a reading folder - I printed out a picture of a bookshelf with books on it and then they fill in the title and color a "book" as they finish it. This hasn't been nearly as motivating as the bookmarks.

I have templates for both and am willing to send them to you if you're interested. :)

What a fun idea!

• Like 1