Menu

What do you do with your family?

eve55

When I was away from home in university, my mother phoned me at night every other day, we both hardly had topics to talk about, just asked how the weather the other side was and urged an early sleep.

A week ago, I went back home, my father prepared a great meal for me, so nice. I had a small talk with my family and stayed in a good mood.

Also, I enjoy watch TV series and discuss the plots with my family. HAPPY TIME indeed.

When get rich enough, I'll take my family members to travel around.

I would like to know what do you do with your family?

Edited by eve55

We go on walks (daily), play games, do larger chores, eat, and watch (all) TV and/or movies together on a daily basis.  We go to church and out to eat together (weekly at minimum). Then we travel together (generally at least monthly, but not always "large" trips).

Other than work, we're together more often than not.  Since hubby works from home when not out on job sites, even on his work days we're often together.

Being a time person love language-wise, it's pretty much perfect.  ;)

Do you mean family of origin or family with my kids and DH? I don't do much woth family of origin; nothing on a planned, regular basis, just the lunch or dinner now and then.

With my kids and DH, we do these things: play card games, play board games, work on jigsaw puzzles, swim, fish and crab, hike. With individual kids, I do certain things with them according to their interests. My oldest is a reader, so we often share and discuss books. My middle is a musician and likes to talk about guitar and styles of music. Or sports. My youngest likes to do needle felting and sharing stories. We still read together every night.

Nothing with my family of origin.

With DH and DS, we do pretty much everything together. We bike, go to the beach, watch movies and shows, read, cook, hang out. Really, if we are home we are all together in the same space. Even we are doing individual activities (like on various screens), it's still shared. And when we go out to do something, we tend to all go together, even for boring stuff. We like each other. :)

We go on walks (daily), play games, do larger chores, eat, and watch (all) TV and/or movies together on a daily basis.  We go to church and out to eat together (weekly at minimum). Then we travel together (generally at least monthly, but not always "large" trips).

Other than work, we're together more often than not.  Since hubby works from home when not out on job sites, even on his work days we're often together.

Being a time person love language-wise, it's pretty much perfect.  ;)

Jealous! You get a lot of fun from playing games with families, right? I play games with my brothers.

Do you mean family of origin or family with my kids and DH? I don't do much woth family of origin; nothing on a planned, regular basis, just the lunch or dinner now and then.

With my kids and DH, we do these things: play card games, play board games, work on jigsaw puzzles, swim, fish and crab, hike. With individual kids, I do certain things with them according to their interests. My oldest is a reader, so we often share and discuss books. My middle is a musician and likes to talk about guitar and styles of music. Or sports. My youngest likes to do needle felting and sharing stories. We still read together every night.

I mean both can do. You do a great job for your children.Good for you!

• Like 1

Nothing with my family of origin.

With DH and DS, we do pretty much everything together. We bike, go to the beach, watch movies and shows, read, cook, hang out. Really, if we are home we are all together in the same space. Even we are doing individual activities (like on various screens), it's still shared. And when we go out to do something, we tend to all go together, even for boring stuff. We like each other. :)

Wonderful. How sweet!

Jealous! You get a lot of fun from playing games with families, right? I play games with my brothers.

Yes.  We play with pretty much everyone - our parents, kids, neighbors - anyone who is willing.  We chat while we're playing and have a good time.  The game of choice rarely matters.  It's the socializing we love the most.  Ok... I'll admit to liking the fact that my kids have outgrown Candyland.  We might have stacked that deck more than once in their young youth.  But if it taught them to enjoy games, it was worth it.

Favorite games here include:

Five Crowns

Rook

Mahjong (tile game version - not computer game)

Mexican Train

Racko

Wide World (an old game about world travel - 1962 version, not the earlier ones)

Countdown (ditto - about space flight)

Masterpiece

1000 Places to See Before You Die

Phase 10 Master's Edition

Boggle

Bananagrams

Uno Attack

Apples to Apples

and undoubtedly others I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.  My oldest introduced us to Castles on our last visit in Feb.  That was fun too.

It sad that my MIL can no longer play (severe Alzheimers), so I sit with her and watch my kids & hubby play with FIL (turning 89 tomorrow).  I love seeing the generations interact together - and having seen it since their toddlerhood.  I love watching my kids enjoy games my mom enjoyed in her youth and enjoying them with her.

I can't fathom life without games - esp when sitting in a house, talking, and not playing something.  There are those times, but they seem downright boring to me.  Even while getting chemo my mom and I get some rounds of Cribbage in.  It makes the time go by much more quickly and gives the brain something else to think about.

With my "folks," we only get together on holidays.  I try to hang out long enough for it to be relaxed.  We don't really "do" anything, just sit around and blab and my mom watches old shows / movies with my kids.

I do some things with my sisters and our kids.  Whatever seems to work with our busy schedules.  This isn't very frequent though.

With my kids, aside from getting them to/from school/activities:

• We eat at a restaurant at least once a week.
  • We watch old shows about once a week.  Occasionally an old movie or televised sports.  Occasionally a new movie in the cinema.
  • We are enrolled in a family TaeKwonDo class.  We were attending about weekly, but this past school year we hardly made it there at all.  Hoping to start up again in July.
  • I like family hikes, but we don't do them often.  Same for attending live theater and music productions.
  • We do some scout activities together.
  • Church.
  • We travel a couple times a year.
  • I look for volunteer projects we can do together, but they are not easy to find on our schedule.
  • We do some chores together.
  • We listen to audiobooks in the car.  Does that count?  It feels like quality time.  :P