Menu

2nd grade science

MedicMom

For a little boy who loves science but hates reading and has fine motor delays?

Experiments are great. Cutting/pasting and lots of writing are not, unless I can adapt the writing to oral narration.

He loves loves loves science, but I haven't been able to find anything without the coloring/cutting/pasting. I liked what I saw of Elemental Science, but the more I read about it the less I think it will work for him.

We are brand new to homeschooling this year, and he's a little unsure, so I want to make at least his favorite subject a good experience!

RSO would be a good fit. I, personally, would avoid elemental. Tons of writing and sooooo many crafts. I skip them usually. We are using it for the first time and I really dislike it. It doesn't feel like real science to me. Atleast not the way I like to do it. RSO (real science odyssey) is nice becasue the reading is short and to the point and then you get to do experiments that are not overly burdensome.

We are starting our third year of using Mr. Q Science.

It consists of:

- A weekly reading.  I read this aloud to the kids.  It is fairly short, very conversational, and somewhat funny (has little comics and jokes interspersed).  I am continually impressed with the depth of coverage; I am currently preparing to teach chemistry, and I was surprised that the text thoroughly covers isotopes, fission and fusion, electrons and orbitals, different types of bonds, conservation of matter, etc.

- List of chapter vocab.

- Narration questions.  These are in the parent manual labeled, "Sample Questions to ask after your child finishes their reading."

- Vocab review sheets.  Matching, fill in the blank, cross words.  We skip these.

- Two activities or experiments related to the week's reading.  These all use simple materials, but they really do help further explain the topics.  Some of the experiments are specifically designed to teach the scientific method, including introducing dependent and independent variables.  There are lab sheets, data charts and graph sheets available for the various grades to walk students through the process of experiment design and implementation at age-appropriate levels.

- Unit reviews and tests.  We skip these.

I've now done life science (which is completely for free) with 6 and 4 year olds, earth science with 7 and 5 year olds, and this year I will do chemistry with 8, 6 and 4 year olds.  On one day I read the chapter and I have them repeat the vocab definitions after me.  Another day we do the narration questions as review (looking up the answers if required) and then do one of the activities.  Often we stop there, but sometimes we do the other activity.

Wendy

A year's subscription to Bill Nye streaming that comes with activity pages and teacher materials ~ https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/ccc-streaming-disney/

Or maybe Magic School Bus. The complete season is cheap on Amazon, there are loads of free lesson plans on the web, and loads of the episodes have experiment kits if you're interested in that sort of thing.

• Like 1

For my wiggly, dysgraphic, low processing speed kid....we did a ton of Janice VanCleave experiments, read library books on the same topics, and watched a bunch of Nature and Nova.

There is PLENTY of time for workbooks and writing later.  Develop enthusiasm, interest, and a vocabulary for talking about scientific ideas!

• Like 1

Another vote for Science in the Beginning. You can read aloud a short passage followed by a quick experiment/demonstration that is followed up by another page or so of reading. It's my favorite science so far. It's the only one that actually incorporates the experiment into the lesson instead of just doing something it actually shows something which is then further explained by the reading. It is also written very well and it's interesting. The author recommends notebooking but it's up to you.