Menu

4th grade independent spelling or grammar

I want to start my 4th grader with Latin in September, but that means I need either his grammar program or his spelling program to be a little more independent so we can fit this new subject in our crazy morning schedule. We are using ELTL for grammar. I am going to drop that program next year (I was never taught grammar, and need a program that helps me a bit more at this level), and haven't decided on FLL plus WWE, or IEW and Fix It Grammar, or some other combination. We are using AAS, currently on level 3. AAS is working well for him. I have considered Spelling Zoo by IEW. What else is out there? And, can I expect him to be a bit more independent/self guided with these or other options so I can use some of our current face to face time to get him started on Latin?

Spelling Plus?

Once you give your child a little training, they can easily do the daily practice session independently.    The dictation sentences (and guided practice and tests) are available as recorded MP3 files on her website for a small fee.   A child can play these and even do the dictation independently.   (With checking from you of course.   I also sat through a few guided "training" sessions to see how they did before I turned them loose.)   She also has free recorded MP3 files of her pretests.    We use those once they finish a level for an entire week.  (To review, and test.)

As far as Grammar, have you looked at Memoria Press Grammar Recitation?    Many people use it in "morning time".   It is VERY light compared to ELTL (initially), but it would be enough if you do it with Latin.  

Another option would be to have your child go through the Junior Analytical Grammar program.  (This could even be front loaded and completed over this summer.  That way you wouldn't even have grammar on your schedule for next year~  It is only a couple of weeks long.)  This program has an optional DVD instructional video.  So your student would watch the video and read the notes on Monday...and then have a practice assignment each day with a "test" on Friday.   You would be needed to grade the assignments.   If you front load grammar over the summer, I would just pull out a sentence from the workbook each week (or even month?) and have your child diagram it on the board to keep the skills fresh.  

Edited by TheAttachedMama
  • Like 1

Soaring with Spelling and Growing with Grammar. I LOVE these programs. Now my kids are already good spellers and got a great foundation with LOE, so at this point I am happy for them to just practice more advanced words each year.

I second Growing With Grammar.

We use Spelling You See and it is independent every day except for the last day when you have to read the section for them to dictate. That does not take too long though. I love it and have seen my daughter's spelling skills increase by leaps and bounds.

I want to start my 4th grader with Latin in September, but that means I need either his grammar program or his spelling program to be a little more independent so we can fit this new subject in our crazy morning schedule. We are using ELTL for grammar. I am going to drop that program next year (I was never taught grammar, and need a program that helps me a bit more at this level), and haven't decided on FLL plus WWE, or IEW and Fix It Grammar, or some other combination. We are using AAS, currently on level 3. AAS is working well for him. I have considered Spelling Zoo by IEW. What else is out there? And, can I expect him to be a bit more independent/self guided with these or other options so I can use some of our current face to face time to get him started on Latin?

Rod and Staff's "Spelling by Sound and Structure" was written to be done independently.

My favorite grammar is Easy Grammar; however, you would want to correct each page after your child does it, before he goes on to the next. Every.single.time. It isn't time consuming, though.

Thank you for all these ideas and suggestions. I am going to look into each one mentioned. Very much appreciated. AttachedMama, doing grammar during the summer... genius! I'm so glad you mentioned that idea. We have to summer school so my oldest son doesn't loose skills, so we all do a little bit with him in solidarity. Might as well make grammar a summer thing with a touch of review here and there. 

• Like 1