Menu

French

4Kiddos

Could you please suggest some French resources and/or curriculum that you loved and your kids seemed to retain? This past year we worked with a program that my kids remember nothing from and I felt like it was a huge waste of time. When I added in poems, songs, and games they remembered much more. I am looking for something for my kids that is not online (I use Duolingo for myself) and has an audio component so we can have correct pronunciation. I would appreciate any advice because I feel overwhelmed trying to figure it out.

What is the program that you didn't like? I'm also looking to switch French programs for next year. We used GSWF. I thought it was a pretty good text, but dd found it boring and lost all of her enthusiasm for learning French. Meanwhile, she complained about having to learn Greek, but she ended up really enjoying SSG. So for now I'm planning to use CAP's French program, since she liked their Greek (although I don't think French has songs, just chants. Hopefully she still likes it). 

She tried Duolingo but I think it is a bit over her head right now. She did not take to having to figure things out herself. 

Could you please suggest some French resources and/or curriculum that you loved and your kids seemed to retain?

That all depends.

How old are your kids?

Do you need ONE program that they can do as a group, or do you need 2+ programs for them based on their individual levels?

Do you have any French abilities?

How big of a priority is French in your family?

How big of a priority is French in your home school?

Why are your kids studying French and what do you hope that they get out of it?

We worked with a program that my kids remember nothing from and I felt like it was a huge waste of time.

What were you using and why didn't it work for you?

When I added in poems, songs, and games they remembered much more. I am looking for something for my kids that is not online (I use Duolingo for myself) and has an audio component so we can have correct pronunciation.

What did you use as a supplement (for games, songs, poems, etc) and why did that supplement work for you?

With more information, we may be able to recommend resources to try or too avoid based on your answers.

That all depends.

How old are your kids? My oldest is almost 9 so I was doing French during MT with my three oldest. So this coming year they will be in 4th, 3rd, and 1st.

Do you need ONE program that they can do as a group, or do you need 2+ programs for them based on their individual levels? I hadn't really thought about this before today actually. Last year, I used one program during MT for all three boys but maybe I need something really simple and fun for my two smaller ones and something more in depth for my oldest. Thank you for pointing that out.

Do you have any French abilities? Yes, but I would consider them rusty. I have been working on my own this past year with Duolingo and have remembered a lot.

How big of a priority is French in your family? I guess in the scheme of things it is not as important as other things but I would still like to expose my children to it and allow them to experience the joy of another language. I would really like to speak it fluently again for my own benefit but that is an aside from my children.

How big of a priority is French in your home school? Same as above.

Why are your kids studying French and what do you hope that they get out of it? We chose French because my husband's family is Cajun and speak French. We also have some French friends so we have exposure to it and I studied it in college. And honestly, I just have always loved it. My kids wanted to learn French too because of their friend. :)

What were you using and why didn't it work for you? I was using "Speaking French with Francois and Miss Mason" which is a CM resource. We practiced everyday and they learned a lesson a week. My kids really liked it  and learned the lessons seemingly well. But, then when I would ask them about it later (like for exams or something) it would be crickets. It just didn't seem to stick in their brains at all. So, when we started school again in January after Christmas I added in some other things and they remember so much more.

What did you use as a supplement (for games, songs, poems, etc) and why did that supplement work for you? Just whatever I could find- a cd of French songs for Children, books- Une, Deux, Trois, silly French songs on YouTube, games taken from a French books I got from the library, fairy tales in French from some websites, some Duolingo, etc. My kids just seemed to retain the French better even though it was more work to try and find whatever I could.

With more information, we may be able to recommend resources to try or too avoid based on your answers.

• Like 1

For kids that age, assuming you have a rebust library, go check out every single children's french resource. Look at them, and try them all out.

This would be so nice but my library only has two resources- French on the Move for Kids and Business French. To be honest, I hardly ever go to the library because they don't have much.

This would be so nice but my library only has two resources- French on the Move for Kids and Business French. To be honest, I hardly ever go to the library because they don't have much.

I really like, "French on the move for kids". You can also see what other free resources you have available to you. I no longer have a list, but there are numerous things available online. My library also has several online things.

You may have already done this, but since I have kids about the same age as you, we have just totally skipped formal French programs (thus far, even though I love formal language lessons myself). I have gotten French versions of many of our favorite children's books with the money I saved, but what my kids really love and seem to have learned from are:

the Monde des Petits videos and songs/stories

Bookbox French stories/videos

watching Peppa Pig in French (this is their favorite, and although I have not used the Charlotte Mason resource you mention, and certainly this isn't the most beautiful and delightful French, when you hear your preschoolers saying to each other, "Bonjour! Je m'appelle Peppa Pig!" and pointing out the window exclaiming "Flaques de boue!" it's confirmation the repetitious and simple nature of this program is good for reinforcing language learning)

Whistlefritz French videos/songs

I actually don't think there is a need to focus overmuch on writing/reading French at this age. Once you do learn the rules in French, they are simpler and more consistent than in English.

Ed: to correct my own error in French spelling. Hopefully the only one. :blushing:

Edited by fralala