Menu

any tips for raising a kitty (4-5 weeks old) who is orphaned??

when can they eat solid food? Should they sleep in a box? Oh and what about the litter box??

This is for my sis who just volunteered to take care of the poor lil thing that was found in a barn without bro's or sis's or a mommy:-(

He is eating kitty formula from a syringe for the time being...

any tips/experience would be helpful!!

when can they eat solid food? Should they sleep in a box? Oh and what about the litter box??

This is for my sis who just volunteered to take care of the poor lil thing that was found in a barn without bro's or sis's or a mommy:-(

He is eating kitty formula from a syringe for the time being...

any tips/experience would be helpful!!

Make sure you ask over at the "Ask a vet" social group! Our resident super-vet, Soph the Vet checks it regularly.

A couple main things are that if the kitten is still on a bottle, get a good milk replacer (from the vet ideally, it's over-the-counter) -- and feed small meals frequently and, if still needed, she'll have to "stimulate" a bowel movement & urination after each feeding by wiping the bottom with a warm damp paper towel. . .

Next, get thee to the vet and get dewormings going. Vet will need to examine & weigh before dispensing dewormer. Parasite loads can KILL these little guys.

Also, if there are ANY fleas, also get flea meds FROM VET (OTC will very likely kill them this young), b/c blood loss from fleas can also kill these little ones quickly.

Ideally, a vet appt ASAP for exam, deworming, parasite control would be the best place to start.

A friend of mine raised abandoned kitties every year she lived down the road from us. Walmart now carries baby kitty formula, and she used a toy baby bottle. I think she might have put them in a carrier to sleep so they'd be safe, and they got lots of cuddling. If I'm not mistaken you can offer it milk soaked cat food at about six weeks, but I'd double check that.

We are lucky enough to have one of her kitties. He's very affectionate and we all adore him.

We put them on canned food until they were 8 weeks. They didn't care for the milk substitute. They really eat frequently--like every 2-3 hours.

They used a litter box with no problem, but they also liked the potty in the plants, so we put glad press/seal wrap over the plants to prevent that!

They like attention and holding.

They had worms and skin mites. The worms really kept one of them from gaining weight, so I would get that taken care of promptly. Plus, it makes the stools loose and SMELLY!!!!!!!!!!

It was intimidating having such young kittens after years of geriatric cats, but it was a good experience.

Biggest thing I can think of is keep 'em warm. I ended up with three kitties here that were about a week old -- someone left 'em in a ditch and the neighbors thought of me, "The Crazy Cat Lady Down 'ta Holler"

Anyway, since there were three of them, I just got it into my pointy little head that they could curl up and keep each other warm. They were little ice cubes before I figured it out. I was afraid to put a heating pad in there because I was afraid it would be too warm -- doh.

So make sure they have a heating pad. The rest of it was easy. :001_smile:

Good luck!