Menu

Almost 900 people showed up in Austin today...

for "Thrill the World," the Guiness Book of World Records event, where we all danced to Michael Jackson's "Thriller." (Actually, an adaptation--our song is longer). There were simultaneous events all over the country, maybe all over the world. We're waiting for Guiness to verify all the numbers. It was great fun, and quite different from my hula or Scottish country dance, lol. Mr. Ellie came and helped as an official. I might be able to get him to dance next year, too.:D

I found several YouTube videos from last year, danced in Seattle, San Francisco, Scotland, San Diego, NYC, Dublin, Dallas, and Toronto. I don't know how many cities participated this year :-)

Who knew?

Edited by Ellie

Cool! But did you do THE Thriller dance?

I use to know the whole thing, but in my old age I can't remember much.

Sad, yes, I know.

Yes...and no. It's the same music, and the moves are the same, but whereas in the video the actual dancing was only about 2 minutes, Guiness required the dance to be at least 5 minutes long. So the woman who orignated the whole thing used the same moves, but did some of them multiple times. On the link I gave, she has a clip where she explains what she did, and then does the dance exactly the way Michael Jackson did it, with subtitles discussing the differences.

Yes...and no. It's the same music, and the moves are the same, but whereas in the video the actual dancing was only about 2 minutes, Guiness required the dance to be at least 5 minutes long. So the woman who orignated the whole thing used the same moves, but did some of them multiple times. On the link I gave, she has a clip where she explains what she did, and then does the dance exactly the way Michael Jackson did it, with subtitles discussing the differences.

Very cool! I bet it was a lot of fun!

Did anyone dress up?

Very cool! I bet it was a lot of fun!

Did anyone dress up?

Are you kidding? Who wouldn't take the opportunity to dress like a zombie in the middle of the day and dance in public like that??:D

Most people dressed up, although it was not a requirement. We were a rag-tag mess, I can tell you.

Are you kidding? Who wouldn't take the opportunity to dress like a zombie in the middle of the day and dance in public like that??:D

Most people dressed up, although it was not a requirement. We were a rag-tag mess, I can tell you.

Please o' please post some pictures or an article that has pictures if you have some. I would love to see them!

and I'm actually
. That's me, with the long grey dress and the long dark hair, a couple of rows behind the front row zombie with the wild silver hair.:D

Oh. My. Gosh. Ellie, that totally cracked me up, watching you dance! What fun. It looked like an absolute blast.

ETA: You were the most cheerful-looking zombie I've ever seen. :D

Edited by Pam "SFSOM" in TN

ETA: You were the most cheerful-looking zombie I've ever seen. :D

It was SO HARD not to laugh!!! But, you know, zombies don't have much of a sense of humor so I had to keep stifling myself.:D

This is the only dance I've ever done where I had to NOT smile!

I am SURE we will have the most zombies dancing in one location, but we gotta wait for the official count from Guiness. ::sigh::

Oh... that looks fun! I felt sorry for the guy in the blue shirt, though. He was in the front row, but didn't really know the dance well and kept bumping in to people around him.

I don't know how he made it into the front row; the organizers were trying to put people in the front 5 rows who had a clue [notice that I'm in row 3, lol]. Maybe they just liked his zombie wear :-)

Oh too funny. We heard Thriller on the radio yesterday in the car, (my dds had never heard it) and at the end when Vincent Price starts laughing I grabbed my oldest by the shoulder and scared her so badly she swung a punch at me and just missed my nose! She's a pretty calm person too, I really got her.