Menu

I am not a party person. Help me plan this celebration

I usually spend most of my time at parties in a quiet corner.

B U T

DH & I have always said we'll have a big party to celebration dfs's adoption. :D I'm realizing that DH really is interested in paying the bills for me to plan/cater the party. :001_huh:

Tomorrow I plan. Please help me out by thinking of some things I haven't. This is my first big party planning so I'm clueless.

We're thinking an open house from 1-3 pm on Sunday (next week) would be good.

- order the blow-up jumpy thingy for the backyard for the kids.

- twist my mother's arm to bring her mini donkey along for the weekend. He is bomb proof with the kids and adorable.

- order food platters from Costco (any recommendations)

- send out invitations to everyone in our world!

- buy 2 liters of soda and other beverages

- balloons!

Anything else?

My folks are coming to town next Friday and they're planning on staying through Monday. So help is on the way.

Can I do this? I can do this. I want to celebrate our new forever son!

I'm *ultra* sensitive to this, but I wouldn't have balloons if there are going to be babies and toddlers there. When our dd was 3, an area toddler suffocated by swallowing part of a balloon. They are incredibly dangerous, esp if parents aren't paying close attention, which is what usually happens at parties.

My sis gives *great* parties and always has a theme. She doesn't spend a fortune on decorations, either. You could do something like 'Growing our Family' with flowers or trees and gardening stuff, or 'New Arrival' with stork stuff (I don't know how old your new son is!). Since the party is going to be in November, something along the lines of 'Giving Thanks for Our New Son', unless that's too corny? My creative side isn't working now.

Parties are great fun!

Aggie

We don't have an ice maker, and I always forget ice.

Hmmm.....Juice boxes or those mini bottled waters and some kid-friendly snacks for the kids? I'm thinking like goldfish, raisin boxes, cheese sticks or little grilled cheese sandwich quarters, something that's not too messy and won't get smeared all over your couch.

Cake?

My favorite appetizer lately is taking a brick of cream cheese, putting it on a platter, pouring salsa over it, and serving it with tortilla chips or crackers. Costco sometimes has this fresh cranberry salsa in the refrigerated section by the produce that is **YUM** with cream cheese.

Another easy appetizer we've done is: throw a few jars of pasta sauce into a crock pot with some sausages that have been cut into thirds. Cook it on high for 4-6 hours and put a basket of sliced french bread next to it. Very easy and we always get asked for the "recipe". :lol:

We usually have a sharpie marker so people can write their names on their cups, otherwise at the end of the party there are like 20 half-drunk cups of soda all over the house.

What about getting a guest book, so everyone at the party can write something for your son? Or have everyone wear name tags with their relationship to your son under the name?

I love parties!! I hope yours goes well and you have an amazing time!! Congrats. :D

I'm *ultra* sensitive to this, but I wouldn't have balloons if there are going to be babies and toddlers there. When our dd was 3, an area toddler suffocated by swallowing part of a balloon. They are incredibly dangerous, esp if parents aren't paying close attention, which is what usually happens at parties.

Aggie

Hate to be a party pooper but I second this; my dh is an ER doc and we do not allow our kids to play with balloons. We occasionally blow one up for a science experiment but not for general play. The mylar helium balloons from the supermarket are fine though.

~Dana

For parties with kids I always put out a play dough table. OUTSIDE. A long low table outside with cookie cutters and other play dough toys and, of course, play dough (make or buy). Did I mention outside?

Great idea! And cheap too. I will park them play dough playing kidlets at the picnic table outside. :)

We don't have an ice maker, and I always forget ice.

Hmmm.....Juice boxes or those mini bottled waters and some kid-friendly snacks for the kids? I'm thinking like goldfish, raisin boxes, cheese sticks or little grilled cheese sandwich quarters, something that's not too messy and won't get smeared all over your couch.

Cake?

My favorite appetizer lately is taking a brick of cream cheese, putting it on a platter, pouring salsa over it, and serving it with tortilla chips or crackers. Costco sometimes has this fresh cranberry salsa in the refrigerated section by the produce that is **YUM** with cream cheese.

Another easy appetizer we've done is: throw a few jars of pasta sauce into a crock pot with some sausages that have been cut into thirds. Cook it on high for 4-6 hours and put a basket of sliced french bread next to it. Very easy and we always get asked for the "recipe". :lol:

We usually have a sharpie marker so people can write their names on their cups, otherwise at the end of the party there are like 20 half-drunk cups of soda all over the house.

What about getting a guest book, so everyone at the party can write something for your son? Or have everyone wear name tags with their relationship to your son under the name?

I love parties!! I hope yours goes well and you have an amazing time!! Congrats. :D

LOVE the guest book idea!!!! And name tags too. . . . great ideas!