Menu

Zumdahl vs Chang Chemistry

How would you compare these two for a solid high school chemistry course? The resources for Zumdahl seem easier to get, but I want to make sure I am giving DD a solid chemistry course. I looked at the pinned chemistry thread at the top of the page, but am seeking a bit more specific detail on the two books.

Edited by reefgazer

That does help because I am not looking for AP chemistry. I just want a regular solid high school chemistry. But aren't there more than one edition of Chang? I have the essential concepts. I hope that's not conceptual chemistry,because I don't want to consider that for DD.

Chang is the chemistry textbook used by PAH for their AP chemistry class, if that helps.

I am not familiar with Chang, but Zumdahl is a solid and very well laid out high school chem textbook. However, when I started scanning what is needed for SAT Chem test, it doesn't cover it all. To be honest we were using the World of Chemistry. I understand there is another version of Zumdahl that is more (rigorous?). 

• Like 1

Zumdahl's World of Chemistry is what I have on hand. DD won't be taking the SAT chemistry, but I still want a solid chemistry course for her.

Then I would say it is definitely a solid high school chemistry textbook. Explanations are very clear and examples are numerous. I also purchased Nivaldo Tro's textbook and liked it a lot too for the same reasons. Sometimes when things were not clear in Zumdahl (only sometimes), I would fall back on Tro. 

• Like 1