Menu

UGH! I have weevils in my wheat grain, again!

What is going on, here? I've left a message with the Bread Beckers...but, who knows when they will get back with me. This is the third time I have seen weevils in my grain. Twice now in organic spelt...once in organic rolled oats. Is this a problem mostly seen with organic grains? I never had bugs before switching to organic grains.

I scooped out some spelt to let it soak in buttermilk overnight for pancakes tomorrow morning...and, three dead weevils dropped into the milk! They were dead only because I started using diatomaceous earth in my grain the last time I saw bugs. Sigh...

I use gamma lids. Do I need to buy new lids? The ones I have are 5 years old.

Am *I* doing something else wrong?

Thanks for any help! I know I won't get any money back because this is grain from 2 orders ago. I don't use spelt for anything, but pancakes. But, not any more! I think I'm done with spelt. This is getting expensive to lose a 6 gallon bucket of grain! I've probably used only a gallon of this bucket.

Thanks!

~Holly

I always put my new, unopened bags of grain in my deep freezer for a week or two. That way I know at least, if there are buggies, they will be dead. :D Then you can do a visual check and, if necessary, shake your grain in a colander to sift them out. So sorry it happened!

Ginger

We always freeze our wheat and then either use mylar bags in a bucket or food saver it and then put it in a bucket. The one thing I never bothered with was rice, but this year I bought 2-25lbs bags from Sams and they sprouted bugs about 2 months later. I really think freezing is essential to kill eggs that are in the grain, if you are going to have it on hand for very long... and yes it's a pain in the butt.

Edited to say that I had bay leaves in with the rice but they were crawling all over it. So, I don't think it works.

Since you have so much grain to deal with, I would do this...I would clear out a shelf in my freezer, pour as much grain as I had room for into a clean pillow case, and put that amount into the freezer. After a week, I would remove that and set in another pillow case full. Slow, but effective.

Ginger