Menu

Writing programs

math_mom

Hi,

My daughter is in K. She is reading at first grade level. I would like to start her on writing.

I am not a native English speaker. I was able to teach her reading by learning myself phonics sounds through her books. I did not learn English through phonics, it was just memorizing spellings and at some point we were able to deduct relationship with letters and sounds. 

I see people mentioned WWE and FLL. Where can I get more info about them? what is FFL mean?

Is there any programs/books though which I can understand the instructions and teach her?

note: I am not homeschooling. Kind of after schooling

Thanks

Edited by math_mom

WWE - Writing With Ease
FLL - First Language Lessons
ELTL - English Lessons Through Literature (You didn't ask, but it's another one thrown around here. :) )

I think most of the 1st grade books have clear instructions, mostly because you are reading them to the student. You can look at samples on any of their websites to see if it would be a good fit for your family.

• Like 1

WWE - Writing With Ease

FLL - First Language Lessons

ELTL - English Lessons Through Literature (You didn't ask, but it's another one thrown around here. :) )

I think most of the 1st grade books have clear instructions, mostly because you are reading them to the student. You can look at samples on any of their websites to see if it would be a good fit for your family.

Thanks. Do you have any personal experience with any of them? Which one do you use?

We haven't really used any of those.  I have a rising 2nd grader, so we'll be just looking at writing curriculum this year.  This year we started with FLL and dictation/copywork. FLL wasn't a good fit for us and we dropped it after a few weeks so I can't attest to the program's thoroughness. We did copywork, dictation, and light grammar on our own this year. For next year I ordered the wrong level of ELTL (level 3) but after looking through it I think I've decided to go with The Good And The Beautiful because we've read the books for ELTL's level 2 program.

ELTL is great and for ease of use you can buy the student copybook so your child can write in it. Very easy to use. It has light and gentle grammar explanations, lots of poems, some picture studies, and books to read. FLL is also very easy to use and starts off with lots of repetition which might help you feel more comfortable learning English grammar. Both would be very easy to use since you're just reading aloud. Both could easily be used quickly after school.

For K and 1st and 2nd grade I would honestly work primarily on copy work and dictation taken from engaging children's books your child is interested in and save formal grammar and composition until 3rd grade-ish. Much more enjoyable for you and your child to do after school than another workbook and probably very different from the approach in your child's classroom, so it would offer some variety. 🙂

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would highly recommend All About Spelling.   I know several friends who do not speak English as a first language who have used it VERY successfully.   It is completely scripted and very easy to teach.    Most people wait until first grade to start it, but if she is very good at reading, you could start it early.   

I would also get a penmanship program and work on letter formation this year.   I would call "writing" good with both of those subjects.

Next year, just do some basic copywork to reinforce how to write letters and build up strength in her hand.  You can get this from a handwriting book or pull sentences from the books she reads.   Occasionally ask her to give you an oral narration of what she reads.  (Where she tells you what happened in her own words using complete sentences.)   If you need a scripted program for copywork and narration, check out WWE 1.   It pairs nicely with FLL which covers grammar.    OR you could use ELTL 1 which combines writing and grammar and literature.   (But again those are all first grade programs.)