Menu

Anyone else admit to needing/wanting to make time for their appearance?

IfIOnly

Nothing a little cornstarch rubbed between your hands and then on your bangs won't take care of!  Seriously, it's a great dry shampoo!

Oh my word, cornstarch to cut the grease between washing totally reminds me of a former coworker. She was the first to tell me about it. Suzie was recently clean from drugs when I met her and had a rough past. I loved her so much!

I think each of us has been here at some point.  What helped me was reading the first steps of Fly Lady's book.   

This shirt is my go to staple, and have it in most colors (men's v-neck).  I pair it with jeans/capris/yoga/leggings.  It goes with dress up/dress down options.  Pinterest was a big help in putting together a small capsule wardrobe, as well.  You don't have to have a lot to make this work.   

http://www.target.com/p/men-s-v-neck-t-shirt-mossimo-supply-co-153/-/A-51350913

Thank you for the book rec, shirt link, and capsule wardrobe mention, readinmom!. The capsule wardrobe sounds interesting.

• Like 1

I just spent an hour in the bathroom doing an acid peel, a luxurious shower, and butter bar afterward. I feel zero guilt. Yes I make time for my appearance and to relax. I get dressed every day, put my hair up, add a dab of makeup if I'm going out later or feel like it. I wear some perfume sometimes too, and I try to get rid of any clothes with holes or stains. There is much to be said for looking nice even around the house for the kids and husband. It changes how I feel about myself and for the better.

Curious: Why men's t-shirts?

They're comfortable. Designers aren't trying to make guys clothes as tight, sheer, or low cut as possible to be sexy  and therefore less comfortable than women's stuff, maybe? It's like yoga pants for the torso, ha! The sleeves are a little longer and there's more give in the chest and armpits too. I really doubt anyone would know I had a man's shirt on. Seriously! 

Men's shirts are more forgiving for weight fluctuations too. 

I think shopping in the men's dept. finally was a couple different things that happened for me. A mix between trying to find durable and not sexy clothes for my daughter and none of my shirts fitting me and resorting to DH's rather than go shopping and discoveing how awesome they felt. My little girl tears through girls jeans because they're thinner than boy's and because they're skinny and tighter so there's less give resulting in the jeans ripping in the knees pretty quickly. I also buy her boys shorts because the girls shorts are so short, not even mid thigh these days, but the boy's shorts are at least mid thigh.

• Like 2

My mother pointed out to me the other day that it is no wonder all my clothes look shabby. I can't afford to buy many, so what I have wears out quickly because I wash them so often.

Good point, Mum. :(

:grouphug: Rosie :grouphug:  

They tend to be made of more durable fabric, I think.

Yes! The boys stuff too. Boys shorts and jeans are thicker and more durable IME, at least for for sizes up to 4T. My daughter's young so I'm not sure about the junior clothing.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

I just spent an hour in the bathroom doing an acid peel, a luxurious shower, and butter bar afterward. I feel zero guilt. Yes I make time for my appearance and to relax. I get dressed every day, put my hair up, add a dab of makeup if I'm going out later or feel like it. I wear some perfume sometimes too, and I try to get rid of any clothes with holes or stains. There is much to be said for looking nice even around the house for the kids and husband. It changes how I feel about myself and for the better.

I've used lotion on my body maybe a dozen times in my life. Ha! I'm just not into that kind of stuff and have never  been that kind of girl. I use conditioner to shave and don't need lotion afterwards and have oily rather than dry skin, so that's probably part of it too. BUT, yes, these past few days of putting time into my appearance again has brightened my outlook and day. It's been worth it!

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

I never used lotion before coming to Alaska years ago. Never needed it in the hot dry weather I came from. But the air holds SO much less moisture up here and the chapping factor is a real thing. Now I'm very big into unscented lotion and lotion bars like this one, which I am obsessed with:

http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/products/details/for-the-bath/shower-butter-bars/shower-butter-bar-mango-multi-mint-berry

Keep up the self care - it's so little time for the payoff in how you feel about yourself.

Boys shorts and jeans are thicker and more durable IME, at least for for sizes up to 4T. My daughter's young so I'm not sure about the junior clothing.

The shirts and jeans are usually thicker all the way to size 18 for kids and also for guys. My DS12 is in size 16 for jeans and men S for shirts and jackets.

• Like 1