Menu

Essential Oils and Diffuser ?

1GirlTwinBoys

I bought a diffuser today at Michael's and put some peppermint oil that I already have from Whole Foods Mkt.  My diffuser was only $20 (reg $50) and my oil was maybe $15??  Why are the oils and diffusers from companies like Young Living or whatever they're called SO EXPENSIVE? The wood diffuser that I wanted from there is around $250.  OMG!

Is there really a big difference in what you're getting??

Multi level marketing. I buy from Eden's Garden or Aura Cacia. EG is woman owned and run, which I like. They have a FB page (not tied to the owners...just run by EG users) that promotes only safe practices. A lot less money, and they have third party testing results on all their oils listed.

I was at my sister's house a couple of weeks ago, packing her and Mom up for moving to their new house.  I got seriously asthmatic after a couple of hours, but it got better every time I went outside.  I have my allergies and packing up is dusty work, but this was beyond what made sense.  Happened again the next day.

I noticed she had a few Scentsy "units" (I don't know what they are called--those things that have melted paraffin wax with scent in it) burning and I asked if we could leave those off the next day to see if that was it.  She left them off, and I had zero problems the next day.

Paraffin is made from the dregs of the oil refining process--it's just bad stuff.  And the scents...who knows where those come from?  

I came home and did an experiment--I melted some beeswax and put some essential oil in it--and put it by my desk.  The room smelled like honey and tangerine.  No problem breathing.  So then I did another experiement.  I wiped out the beeswax and put some water in the same container and used the same essential oils.  Same deal--great smell, no breathing problems.  

My sister *always* sounds out of breath when we talk on the phone, and I wonder if this is why.  She's not had problems with asthma like I have in the past (but don't usually anymore) but still....

Anyway, that was my little science experiment.  I use the Aura Cacia EOs, too.  They have a regular and an organic line, so you can choose.  But I also use NOW and other brands, and none of them have given me fits like that Scentsy stuff did.  

I've wondered that myself!  I buy oils from Rocky Mountain Oil.  My cheap diffuser lasted about a year.  It sent "smoke" wafting up in a general upwards direction.  Worked well when we lived in a loft style house.  My new diffuser cost a bit more, but is supposed to cover a larger area.  I have noticed it puts out a much finer "smoke" and shoots it at an angle into the room more.  Better for my open style living area.  I like some of the blends from RMO but I also own singles. 

I've wondered that myself!  I buy oils from Rocky Mountain Oil.  My cheap diffuser lasted about a year.  It sent "smoke" wafting up in a general upwards direction.  Worked well when we lived in a loft style house.  My new diffuser cost a bit more, but is supposed to cover a larger area.  I have noticed it puts out a much finer "smoke" and shoots it at an angle into the room more.  Better for my open style living area.  I like some of the blends from RMO but I also own singles. 

I have a little diffuser that is a shallow dish of water that sits on a rack above a tea light (I use beeswax tea lights--see above).  It works great.  

I'll bet those Scentsy wax burners would work great with water or beeswax in them.  But they seem to cost a lot of money, at least new

I have a little diffuser that is a shallow dish of water that sits on a rack above a tea light (I use beeswax tea lights--see above).  It works great.  

I'll bet those Scentsy wax burners would work great with water or beeswax in them.  But they seem to cost a lot of money, at least new

I have a little wax burner too.  It is nice and looks pretty

I bought a diffuser today at Michael's and put some peppermint oil that I already have from Whole Foods Mkt.  My diffuser was only $20 (reg $50) and my oil was maybe $15??  Why are the oils and diffusers from companies like Young Living or whatever they're called SO EXPENSIVE? The wood diffuser that I wanted from there is around $250.  OMG!

Is there really a big difference in what you're getting??

I agree with the posts above. One of the reasons I only buy from companies with independent third party testing is because some of the very expensive oils (frankincense, etc.) are prone to adulteration.  So, in the instance where someone is selling frankincense for $7 at the health food store in a 10mL bottle.....I know that that's probably not a good quality oil. Some companies either greatly dilute or adulterate the oil to be able to offer at a low price.