Menu

Math Lessons for a Living Education

KeriJ

Any new reviews of this? It is so out of my typical comfort zone, but oh my word, CLE is getting so long each day! Just wondering who is using it.

I would definitely plan to supplement some, but I really like what I see so far.

Edited by KeriJ

I have used the previous version. My daughter liked the story. I felt it went a bit slow. I am going to use it again next year. I think it will work with a couple of mine. One just wants to get his work done as simply as possible so he can get back to Legos. The other likes the story element and needs the constant review. There is a placement test on the web site you might want to look at. The program starts slow but ends up on grade level.

I currently have one child using Level 1 and one child using Level 3 of the new editions. I feel like Level 1 is more appropriate for kindergarten and the very beginning of first grade. Level 2 seems more appropriate for first grade and the beginning of second grade. However, the Level 3 book seems right on target for third grade. Having said that, my child in Level 3 is in first grade. My children truly enjoy Math Lessons for a Living Education. They like the hands on activities.They like the length of the lessons. I like that the books are of good mix of explaining the how and why along with teaching the procedure. My children do not complain about math with MLFLE. They enjoy it so much.

Now, I do supplement my oldest a little with Singapore for the mental math. He doesn't like Singapore. So, I use it sparingly and only because he is my "mathy" kid. I have yet to decide if I will supplement my younger child.

If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer them.

I currently have one child using Level 1 and one child using Level 3 of the new editions. I feel like Level 1 is more appropriate for kindergarten and the very beginning of first grade. Level 2 seems more appropriate for first grade and the beginning of second grade. However, the Level 3 book seems right on target for third grade. Having said that, my child in Level 3 is in first grade. My children truly enjoy Math Lessons for a Living Education. They like the hands on activities.They like the length of the lessons. I like that the books are of good mix of explaining the how and why along with teaching the procedure. My children do not complain about math with MLFLE. They enjoy it so much.

Now, I do supplement my oldest a little with Singapore for the mental math. He doesn't like Singapore. So, I use it sparingly and only because he is my "mathy" kid. I have yet to decide if I will supplement my younger child.

If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer them.

I'm glad to hear you think it's on target at 3rd grade. That was one thing I was wondering.

Do you have any thoughts as to how it compares with other programs?

I have used the previous version. My daughter liked the story. I felt it went a bit slow. I am going to use it again next year. I think it will work with a couple of mine. One just wants to get his work done as simply as possible so he can get back to Legos. The other likes the story element and needs the constant review. There is a placement test on the web site you might want to look at. The program starts slow but ends up on grade level.

Thank you. I'll check the placement test.

I'm glad to hear you think it's on target at 3rd grade. That was one thing I was wondering.

Do you have any thoughts as to how it compares with other programs?

My oldest used Abeka for K and 1 before switching to MLFLE for 2 and 3. Abeka is a spiral math program and mainly teaches through memorization of a procedure. MLFLE is mastery with built in review and teaches the concept before teaching the procedure. For example, in Abeka K, the students are taught larger numbers by "families." All the teens belong together because they start with a one, all the twenties belong together because they start with a two, etc. MLFLE 1 starts out teaching numbers 1 through 9 and a few shapes, but as soon as the students learn the number ten, place value is introduced. The students are immediately shown how the teens are actually one group of ten. I think that MLFLE is better at teaching number sense than Abeka.

We have just recently started Singapore, so I am not totally familiar with it, but I feel like what I've seen in Singapore regarding place value, addition and subtraction with regrouping has been similar to MLFLE. Although, Singapore may be a little ahead than MLFLE, The Singapore 2B text seems about the same as the beginning half of MLFLE 3. I think MLFLE is a complete and thorough program. The only reason I even supplement with Singapore is to help *me* teach mental math strategies and to give my son just a little bit more practice doing math mentally. 

I like MLFLE. I like that it is conceptual. I like that it is mastery. I like that it is not drill and kill. I like that lesson length is age appropriate. I LOVE that my kids are actually enjoying math. We will be sticking with it.  

• Like 1

I tried Level 1 with my DD at age 5 who is pretty mathy. She liked it at first but the story and concepts seemed to move sooooo sloowwwlly we just gave it up about half way through and continued with Singapore 1. There is a lot of repetition at least in Level 1 imo. I might look ahead but there are so many things out there I just may not get to it.