Menu

If you speak or can prononce French, can I get some help, please?

Dd is doing a report on the Rosetta Stone, and she needs to pronounce these names: Lettre a M. Dacier and Champollion. She is a bit type-A ;) and would like to make sure they are pronounce correctly. If you could spell out the pronunciation and where the stress would be, I would be very thankful. :)

I'm a bit rusty...

Lettre (lettray--roll that 'r') a (ah) Dacier (Dah-see-ay) Champollion (Shahm-po-yon---again, roll those 'l's)

I *think* that's correct!

I'm a bit rusty...

Lettre (lettray--roll that 'r') a (ah) Dacier (Dah-see-ay) Champollion (Shahm-po-yon---again, roll those 'l's)

I *think* that's correct!

I agree with those, except for lettre. That last syllable won't be pronounced "ray", it will be a schwa kind of sound. (LET-ruh)

Dd is doing a report on the Rosetta Stone, and she needs to pronounce these names: Lettre a M. Dacier and Champollion. She is a bit type-A ;) and would like to make sure they are pronounce correctly. If you could spell out the pronunciation and where the stress would be, I would be very thankful. :)

French r's are gutteral - not rolled like Spanish r's, but similar to German r's.

the first 'e' in 'lettre' is like English short e (as in 'bet')

the second 'e' in 'lettre' would sound similar to short u (as in 'but') but dropped - not emphasized.

LET-truh (french 'r', very brief second syllable)

French a is almost always 'ah' (as in car)

M. is the abbreviation for "Monsieur". Listen to it here.

Dacier would be "DAH-see-ay" with the middle syllable very brief, almost clipped.

Champollion would be "shahm-poh-lee-yon" with that last 'on' nasal.

I agree with those, except for lettre. That last syllable won't be pronounced "ray", it will be a schwa kind of sound. (LET-ruh)

:iagree: Let-ruh.

The first pronunciation sounded more like Spanish to me--just started studying it and there is a lot of emphasis on the endings.

Okay, how on earth did you do that? That is so cool! Dd will be so excited to hear it - I can just see her affecting a French accent now, LOL...

I over emphasized the last 'e' in 'lettre' though. As if I was doing dictation.

Btw, I'm French Canadian, so this is technically a French Canadian accent. But I don't really have a local accent either. I'm a mix of European and Canadian accents! LOL

I over emphasized the last 'e' in 'lettre' though. As if I was doing dictation.

Btw, I'm French Canadian, so this is technically a French Canadian accent. But I don't really have a local accent either. I'm a mix of European and Canadian accents! LOL

My dd are so amazed that I could ask a question and get someone from another country to pronounce it for us. Isn't the internet grand?

Thanks, Cleo!