Menu

History of Rome

"SPQR" by Mary Beard.

Also, FWIW, remember the title of Gibbons is "The decline and fall of the roman empire", and only covers the fall of the empire, and not the republic at all.  So, even at a gazillion pages, it isn't even a complete history of Rome.

• Like 1

I would not read anything...I would listen to the podcast "The History of Rome" by Mike Duncan.  It's excellent and you can listen while you fold laundry, or in the car while you run errands.   So while technically you may spend more time on it than reading a book, it will feel like less time because you can multitask while listening.   I'm in the middle of it now.  

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-history-of-rome/id261654474?mt=2

Edited by goldenecho
  • Like 2

A second reco here for History of Rome. It is EXCELLENT.

Are you looking for non fiction only? The Eagle of the Ninth series comes to mind as a fantastic fictional series, as does the Caroline Lawrence series (Pirates of Pompeii, Thieves of Ostia, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yes, I would like non fiction only. We are hitting ancients next year again and I would like one high quality text per civilization in addition to our regular textbook. We aren't fans of historical fiction.

Love the podcast recommendation as well. We could do that while driving.

• Like 1

So many great books. So little time. :)

I really like the Original Dysfunctional Family. It is very slim and gets right to the Olympian gods and covers both the Greek and Roman versions. I'm almost all eBook, and most of those free vintage, but this book is a keeper in hardcopy. It nails the Olympians, which is something I like to cover explicitly. To me, the Olympians are part of nonfiction and history.

I have no "truth", but I like to cover the history/mythology of a culture, which to me is all the same. A people's stories they like to tell about themselves, "true" or not. I'd family tree the Olympians before a family/dynasty of kings. :lol:

I like these books as they are meant to be SQUEEZED into a Latin class. There is NO fluff, fat, or whatever you want to call it.

• Like 1

I am a Romanophile.  Hands-down the first book to read is Empires of Trust.  

https://www.amazon.com/Empires-Trust-Built-America-Building/dp/0525950745/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490139472&sr=8-1&keywords=empire+of+trust

It is a comparison of America to Rome, and in my opinion the only comparison that is worthwhile.   You get a ton of Roman history and the American comparisons give it a modern context.  

You said modern scholars, but Livy is amazing.  

• Like 1

I am a Romanophile. Hands-down the first book to read is Empires of Trust.

https://www.amazon.com/Empires-Trust-Built-America-Building/dp/0525950745/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490139472&sr=8-1&keywords=empire+of+trust

It is a comparison of America to Rome, and in my opinion the only comparison that is worthwhile. You get a ton of Roman history and the American comparisons give it a modern context.

You said modern scholars, but Livy is amazing.

Oh, this is a gem!