Menu

11 Minutes

That is how long Dd13 spent actually taking the National Latin Exam today.  :ohmy: 

We were chatting before she started, and she told me her teacher told the class to go quickly because you should average one question per minute. But the teacher also told the class to work carefully and use all of the time available. She finished in 11 minutes.

I've tried getting her to slow down on her tests for class. She makes silly mistakes on every test because she isn't careful enough.

Has anyone else had a kid like this and successfully slowed them down?

I was that kid, and no nothing would've changed it for me. My accuracy did improve with age if that makes you feel any better, and I quit worrying so much about being the first done around mid-high school.  (But I still usually finished first in college without trying. ;) ) Some people are just faster at tests/papers. 

I don't know if I'd necessarily judge by the National Latin Exam. I too was a bit worried by how quickly my two oldest went through it last year. I didn't have anything to compare it to, since it was our first year doing it. I'd wait to see the scores and the exam, to determine if they were silly mistakes or items she truly didn't know. For mine, the speed for that particular test didn't result in any silly mistakes.

I agree with others that some are just speedy test takers. In elementary school, I tended to be one of the first finishers, even after thoroughly checking answers. It did not affect my accuracy.

Erica in OR

• Like 2

It does affect her accuracy on her regular Latin tests. She has 1 hr. 15 mins. and usually finishes in fewer than 20 minutes. She still has an A, but it is a lower A and the material will only get harder. These mistakes are costing her the buffer she should have. It may end up making the difference between an A and a B. She has always worked quickly. Understanding the material and making silly mistakes is par for the course for her. I've tried for 10 years to get her to slow down.

It does affect her accuracy on her regular Latin tests. She has 1 hr. 15 mins. and usually finishes in fewer than 20 minutes. She still has an A, but it is a lower A and the material will only get harder. These mistakes are costing her the buffer she should have. It may end up making the difference between an A and a B. She has always worked quickly. Understanding the material and making silly mistakes is par for the course for her. I've tried for 10 years to get her to slow down.

The difference between an A and a lower A probably wouldn't be enough to make me change my habits as a student. Maybe if she does start getting B's it might matter to her.

• Like 1