Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW11: Happy St. Patrick's Week

Robin M

I started The Draining Lake, my next Inspector Erlendur book. It's also my choice for Mystery March and Nordic authors. If you know the series you know that Erlendur is obsessed with stories of people who go missing, due to something that happened in his childhood. Often he reads about people who get lost in Iceland's snow storms. So...

I followed a rabbit trail, and started searching for such happenings. From everything I found it's rare for an Icelander to go missing like that. It mostly happens to tourists, and even then it's usually the ones who ignored advice. 

This story tickled me when I came across it. It's an old story but I don't remember hearing about it. 

Missing tourist helps look for herself    :lol:

• Like 6

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started The Draining Lake, my next Inspector Erlendur book. It's also my choice for Mystery March and Nordic authors. If you know the series you know that Erlendur is obsessed with stories of people who go missing, due to something that happened in his childhood. Often he reads about people who get lost in Iceland's snow storms. So...

I followed a rabbit trail, and started searching for such happenings. From everything I found it's rare for an Icelander to go missing like that. It mostly happens to tourists, and even then it's usually the ones who ignored advice.

This story tickled me when I came across it. It's an old story but I don't remember hearing about it.

Missing tourist helps look for herself :lol:

Too funny! :lol: I'm currently reading The Girl in the Ice very slowly (it makes me sleepy even in the morning!) Partially set in Greenland. That book had a comment about people getting lost also that was intriguing....paraphrasing, it's abig country and if you wander off course especially in winter it's unlikely you will be found. Eek......

• Like 6

A one day only currently free non-fiction work for Kindle readers ~

A Book of Remarkable Criminals by H. B. Irving

About the Author
Henry Brodribb Irving (1870–1919) was an English actor, author, and lawyer. Born in London, he studied law at Oxford, but rather than pursue a life in court, he took to the stage. For most of his life, he traveled England and Australia, playing a range of roles from Hamlet to Mr. Hyde. After World War I, he retired from the theater and returned to the practice of law. It was during this time that Irving wrote the work for which he is best remembered: A Book of Remarkable Criminals (1918).

"This classic study profiles serial killers, gentleman murderers, and every stripe of madman in between

Benjamin Pitezel should never have trusted H. H. Holmes. In 1894, the two men conspired to fake Pitezel’s death for the sake of a $10,000 insurance settlement. But Holmes decided murder would be simpler. He killed his partner, kidnapped three of his children, and tried to claim the insurance money as his own. The scheme unraveled and Holmes killed the children as well. When he was caught, the police had no idea they had captured one of the vilest murderers in American history. The Pitezel murders were only the tip of a very bloody iceberg.

The chilling case of H. H. Holmes—famously recounted in Erik Larson’s award-winning bestseller, The Devil in the White City—is but one of the true crime tales contained in this remarkable work. Author H. B. Irving understood the public’s lurid fascination with murder, and in this seminal study he shows readers the many faces of evil."

Regards,

Kareni

This sounds very interesting!  I was watching a FB live thing by our county library where 3 librarians from different branches review and recommend some books and one that was highlighted was this one:  The New York Times Book of Crime: More Than 166 Years of Covering the Beat

• Like 6

Hello  dear hearts.  I’m about to head out to visit my dad and sisters in Arizona. Before I leave however, I wanted to apologize to all of you for last week.  I had to take a step back for a few days as I was angry and hurt and anything I said would have been counter productive.  No one likes being publicly chastised.   I made a mistake.   I’m sorry for the poor choice of words and accept the rebuke in the nature it was intended. Unfortunately, how it was handled caused harm, cracked relationships and affected everyone in the group, causing grief and stress. As leader of this group, I take full responsibility.  I’ve already spoken privately with Stacia and apologized.  Sadly, there is no going back to how things were, nor can we continue as if nothing happened. All we can do is start over.

I respect what each of you individually brings to the table.  We are a diverse group of strong, passionate women who have managed to get along quite well for the past 8 years.  The majority of the time we have proved we are adult enough to have civil discourse, accepting each other's differences of opinion, without rancor.  We’ve all been a bit more sensitive this year, so all I can ask is that we treat each other with compassion, open hearts, open minds and lots of grace.  The 52 books thread gives everyone a safe harbor in which to discuss books and whatever else they choose without judgement.  

Peace and love.  I’ll see you in a couple weeks.

• Like 7