Menu

Patty Paper Geometry

I've never used Patty Paper Geometry, but I've heard great things about it.

Would it work as an elective in a co-op or does it need to go alongside a geometry class?

What age is this best for? Can students use this before they take geometry? Is it still good after they've had geometry?

Do you like this book?

Yes, it can work in a co-op, though you won't complete the book probably.

It's a very nice introduction to geometry.  Each lesson has two ways of presenting it: teaching directly or discovery method.  You can adjust based on the ages and needs of your students.  We like to go from it to a traditional geometry, but I think it would still be good to use in reverse order so that a student really gets a sense for the math in a different approach. 

• Like 1

Would it work as an elective in a co-op or does it need to go alongside a geometry class?

I think it was originally intended as a supplement for a geometry class.  We used it as an intro to geometry alongside Algebra 1 in 8th grade.  I think it would work well as an elective in a co-op.

What age is this best for? Can students use this before they take geometry? Is it still good after they've had geometry?

I believe it is intended for 6th-10th grade.  Yes, students can use this before they take geometry - it is a fun intro.  If the student has had geometry, it might be a fun review or it might be a total bore.

Do you like this book?

This book was a huge hit at our house.  In 9th grade, after a failed attempt at Jacob's Geometry, we successfully used Discovering Geometry by Michael Serra (the same author).

• Like 1