Menu

Christian Content...Devotional suggestion?

Donna

The devotional that is popular around here at the moment is "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young. It is written in easy to read style, light, not deep.

It's popular in my area, too. Although I haven't read it myself, I've heard enough from others to say that you should probably be cautious about it. Here's one critical perspective:

http://www.challies.com/articles/10-serious-problems-with-jesus-calling

My recommendation would be to pick either a Gospel or an epistle and read a section daily.

Hope you find something that will edify and encourage you.

• Like 1

Ugh, sorry, but the Jesus who's calling in that book sounds nothing like the Jesus of the Bible.  But if you like "whispering His name" and emotionally-driven suggestions by a Jesus-self-help guru, ignore me.

Come to think of it, I don't really know what a devotional is anymore.  lol  My usual recommendation is something by Timothy Keller.  I just bought his book on prayer and I really liked Counterfeit Gods.  Or Humility & Absolute Surrender by Andrew Murray.  I've had several friends recommend The Valley of Vision which is a collection of prayers and "devotions" by Puritan authors.  (Not sure where that stands theologically, though, other than most likely Calvinist? Maybe someone can chime in on that one.)

• Like 3

My favorite devotional is A Year with the Church Fathers: Meditations for Each Day of the Church Year (amazon or cheaper from the publisher's not-quite-perfect section).

I realized a couple of years ago that I was 95% secularized in my understanding of the world and how to live - and in my understanding of my faith. I didn't know how to read and understand the Bible and our confessions in anything but a modernized way - and most of the contemporary books I read suffered from the same problem. I picked up this devotional on a whim, because "study the Church Fathers" seemed like a Good Thing To Do - that reading some decidedly non-contemporary understanding of the faith would hopefully help break me out of my modern mental straight jacket and see the faith in new-old ways. And it did, in spades. I have really appreciated the vividness and *realism* of how the Fathers talk about Scripture and the Christian life. And the editor/translator has introductions to each reading that give helpful context. It's been a very approachable, very rewarding way to start reading the Church Fathers.

Edited by forty-two
  • Like 2

Ugh, sorry, but the Jesus who's calling in that book sounds nothing like the Jesus of the Bible.  But if you like "whispering His name" and emotionally-driven suggestions by a Jesus-self-help guru, ignore me.

Come to think of it, I don't really know what a devotional is anymore.  lol  My usual recommendation is something by Timothy Keller.  I just bought his book on prayer and I really liked Counterfeit Gods.  Or Humility & Absolute Surrender by Andrew Murray.  I've had several friends recommend The Valley of Vision which is a collection of prayers and "devotions" by Puritan authors.  (Not sure where that stands theologically, though, other than most likely Calvinist? Maybe someone can chime in on that one.)

Yes, Valley of Vision is definitely Calvinist.

Oh, you can also check out LoveGodGreatly.com  Their blog has daily readings for the current study (right now it's "Broken & Redeemed"):   http://lovegodgreatly.com/lgg-blog/  Then, you can either buy the journal to go with it from Amazon or use the free PDF to try it.  http://lovegodgreatly.com/lgg/broken-redeemed-easter-bible-study/  (I think all of the studies offer a free version of the journal/guide, btw.)