Menu

Gardening: Are Earthboxes worth it?

JumpyTheFrog

I had a rival brand of self-watering planter. I can't remember the name.

My tomatoes and eggplants did great. Just great. It was easy to set up and the plants did well.

Here are the cons:

Need to use a mosquito thing to keep mosquitoes from brewing in the reservoir.

It was difficult to have supports for the plants with my boxes located on concrete. I had a support kit but the tomatoes overwhelmed it. In the future I would have the boxes located where I could stake into the ground for good support (this with a different brand though).

In hot weather the reservoir needs to be filled daily and even twice a day. In hot weather if you go 3 days without watering the plants will be really suffering. As far as missing a day of watering, it is not as forgiving as in-ground plants. This is my biggest problem if I ever go on a trip. It is the same with in-ground but I didn't realize it would be this way. I thought I could fill the reservoir and it would stay full! No. Not in hot weather. In cooler weather yeah it can just need watering 2x/week.

Definitely locate the plants where they are convenient to a hose. Spraying into the reservoir is okay, but it is easier to be close enough to just stick the hose in the reservoir and walk away until it is full.

The kind I got supposedly rolled on casters.

No.

Unless you put them on wagons, once you will them they are very difficult to move. The kind I have sends an email of pictures people send in. Quite a few are shown set on wagons. I think the casters might be meant for while they are empty and I just didn't realize. When they are full they really are unwieldy.

I would do it again if I had a location that was both near a hose and where I could have good staking, and where my kids wouldn't knock into it or have balls bounce into it. And if I knew I could reliably water all through the hot times or have someone water for me.

Bc I really did have good results! It is just that I didn't realize some things about my location (convenient for the plants vs my kids using the backyard to play) and then the main thing -- I thought I could fill the reservoir and it would last for a week while I went on a short visit: that was totally unrealistic for how my climate is and the size of the reservoir for the brand I bought.

I just remembered the brand I got was The Garden Patch.

Edit: I just remembered -- we moved and didn't have as much sun near the house.

When I got them I had a concrete pad I set them on, and put staking in the ground by the concrete pad, and had full sun right there, and the faucet right there, and didn't travel at all from April through July.... with July maybe being the most important time to stay on top of water.

The plants get thirstier as they get bigger.

I have been traveling to see my sister who can only take time off in July for the past few years and it doesn't work.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

Last year I used EMSCO's city picker raised box. It was a huge success. I did herbs and bell peppers and they did GREAT.  I used the cover that came with it- it was like a heavy duty black plastic like a heavy trash bag. The rubber band broke halfway through the season but I used tape to hold it on.  I filled it with water every two or three days but I live in the midwest so that might have extended time between waterings. 

I'm buying more this year when they hit the shelves at Home Depot.  Amazon has them but they're a lot more expensive. HD price was about $25. 

• Like 1

To be fair with mine on cement or white rocks (ground cover) they may have been sucking up more water. It was also really hot one of the main summers when I was watering twice a day (or 3x over 2 days). And I had huge tomatoes and eggplants ripening, so..... I didn't mind at all when I was home. Very simple to stick the hose in the reservoir.

I also used the covers and they do prevent weeds.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

To be fair with mine on cement or white rocks (ground cover) they may have been sucking up more water. It was also really hot one of the main summers when I was watering twice a day (or 3x over 2 days). And I had huge tomatoes and eggplants ripening, so..... I didn't mind at all when I was home. Very simple to stick the hose in the reservoir.

I also used the covers and they do prevent weeds.

Maybe, but IME, any gardening in containers dries out daily in the heat, no matter where it is placed. I have porch hanging baskets - they are beautiful - but they must be watered every day in the heat. I have large planters - every day in the heat. My herb gardens are in containers, and they must be watered daily in the heat. My SIL tried one of those upside-down tomato hanging planters and this is what she said - every day you must water in the heat. The exposed sides dry the plants out.

So, I don't know that it's the concrete necessarily making that problem.

• Like 2