Menu

Using an iPad for books and games

lovinmyboys

I have started buying "board" games for the iPad (ticket to ride, Qwirkle, splendor, etc) and also some picture books. In a way I kind of like it better than the physical books and games-less clutter and cleanup/setup. But I am wondering if there is a downside to this. Is it better to read Olivia from the physical book? Or to actually play Qwirkle? I have always been one to limit "screens," so this is new for me.

I have started buying "board" games for the iPad (ticket to ride, Qwirkle, splendor, etc) and also some picture books. In a way I kind of like it better than the physical books and games-less clutter and cleanup/setup. But I am wondering if there is a downside to this. Is it better to read Olivia from the physical book? Or to actually play Qwirkle? I have always been one to limit "screens," so this is new for me.

I find board games on the computer tend to be 1 player against the computer.  When playing with more people, we still need the actual board game. If you have found it works for multi-players for you, then I agree the ipad may be better!

• Like 1

For some people, a physical board game can help then manipulate things and can be a type of therapy. For most people I see no big disadvantage and the stated advantages of not losing pieces and less space.

For books, some people use assistive technology to help them read digital books (read assist, dictionaries, type and font choices, etc). Even for average readers, having the choice to pick a font and size, and use the additional features is nice.

• Like 1

I find board games on the computer tend to be 1 player against the computer.  When playing with more people, we still need the actual board game. If you have found it works for multi-players for you, then I agree the ipad may be better!

A lot of them can be played on the iPad. against others. For example, if you're familiar with Ticket to Ride, you can either play via bluetooth with other players in the room also on iPads or you can set it up to do pass and play where you pass the iPad around as you play. Some other games - like Small World, for example - you can set on a table and all play together across the table.

I also prefer it... but I've found it's not great for big groups. It's best with two or maybe three people. Also, attention tends to wander a bit more. Playing a physical game seems to be better for bonding. But on the other hand, you can't beat the price or the clean up or the ability to play a full game of Ticket to Ride or Pandemic or something while waiting in a really long line.

• Like 1

I do not like reading from an iPad. I am old. I openly admit this appears to be a generation gap. Ds has no issues unless it is a much longer book (novel.) iPad schooling has greatly reduced clutter and increased engagement in our house. I am personally all for it in many arenas of life. Just not *my* books :)

• Like 1

Here is another one: sudoku. Ds10 has really gotten into it lately. I find I want to tell him to get off the iPad, when in reality if he were doing sudoku with paper and pencil I would have no problem with it.

I am finding I need to rethink my opinions on screen time.

Here is another one: sudoku. Ds10 has really gotten into it lately. I find I want to tell him to get off the iPad, when in reality if he were doing sudoku with paper and pencil I would have no problem with it.

I am finding I need to rethink my opinions on screen time.

We had this problem. I had to start asking myself the same question, "What if it wasn't digital?" Screens have been an easy way for my son to develop avoidence habits. That is the only negative we have found. He will do school in bed or in his pajamas all day long because it is easier with a screen to just not get up. I definitely do not like that part. I honestly think it took longer for him to develop some of those personal life habits (get up, shower, comb hair & teeth; make lunch, clean up, eat, brush teeth; reasonable bedtime, get washed, brushed, ready for bed) because he could digitally zone until I got overly frustrated. He has found a groove now, but I had to push a lot.

In general, he has become more resourceful, discovered more interesting subjects, and developed more creative thinking when using digital school than with only books and occasional movies.

• Like 1