Menu

Verbal Agreement with Realtor

carriede

DH and I plan on listing our house for sale this spring. We interviewed realtors and chose one to help us sell. We have signed nothing. The house is not listed for sale in any capacity.

I found out a friend is interested in our house. Would the realtor we have a verbal agreement with have any legal recourse against us if we sold this house without her? How would I find this out? We live in GA.

Thanks!

you can check the legality of verbal agreements.  but the reality didn't "bring" the buyer.  it'd imagine it would be like changing who is listing your home and a previous realtor having any/or no - rights to the commission if the buyer didn't learn about the sale from them.

Describe your "verbal agreement." Has the realtor done anything on your behalf as a result of it?

In short, no.

She's been to our house twice: once to check it out, and again to give us her "pitch" including suggested listing price and comps. We also had two other realtors come out and do the exact same thing.

The only difference is, with this one, I called her back and said I'd like to use her to sell our house. She has not come back on site nor given any verbal support beyond her pitch meeting.

In short, no.

She's been to our house twice: once to check it out, and again to give us her "pitch" including suggested listing price and comps. We also had two other realtors come out and do the exact same thing.

The only difference is, with this one, I called her back and said I'd like to use her to sell our house. She has not come back on site nor given any verbal support beyond her pitch meeting.

In that case I personally believe it's as easy as saying you changed your mind. She has provided no service on the basis of that verbal contract.

ETA, i see mae's answer above. If you want to be super nice you could write a short note letting her know you no longer need an agent (don't need to explain why), thank her for her time, wish her success in other ventures, throw in a $5 Starbucks card. But even that isn't something you should feel obligated to do, especially since she hasn't appeared to be go-getting in her pursuit of a signed listing agreement.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

We live in GA and my dh is a realtor.

The answer to your question is no. The realtor has no legal recourse unless you have signed a listing agreement.

Thank you thank you!

Do you know if there is any documentation/law stating this that I can show DH?

Here is a website that outlines real estate contract law in GA.

https://www.grec.state.ga.us/infobase/tableofcontents/chapter18.html

If there is no listing agreement and she did not bring the buyer, she would have a horrible time proving that she was the cause of the sale.

Dh said that he has been in this scenario where a friend or family member has bought the house before he has listed it. He said it would be nice if you could call her and let her know the situation. Of course, you are not obligated to do so.

• Like 4

Here is a website that outlines real estate contract law in GA.

https://www.grec.state.ga.us/infobase/tableofcontents/chapter18.html

If there is no listing agreement and she did not bring the buyer, she would have a horrible time proving that she was the cause of the sale.

Dh said that he has been in this scenario where a friend or family member has bought the house before he has listed it. He said it would be nice if you could call her and let her know the situation. Of course, you are not obligated to do so.

Thanks you again! :)