Menu

Silly Question - What's this about SAT essay? Did they remove it?

I've seen this mentioned just a couple times the last couple days... I saw someone write thus regarding some essay prep writing program:  "I think one of their sessions had to do with SAT essay prep, which is a moot point for others now that they've removed that part of the test."

What does that mean? Can someone clue me in?

The new SAT which started from March 2016 no longer has the SAT essay as a compulsory section. The SAT without essay is cheaper and shorter. UC does want SAT with essay.

"Do students taking the new SAT also need to complete the optional essay?

Yes. The essay portion of the new SAT exam is required by UC."

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/q-and-a/new-sat/index.html#2

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

What's the really strange thing is that, while a school may *require* the essay, they don't *count* the essay in the SAT/ACT scores for admission or awarding scholarships -- just the combined Math and Critical Reading scores. And this is not because the essay is optional (so that not all students will have the essay). It's because the essay is a subjective score, rather than an objective one.