Menu

What to do for literature in 5th & 6th - just finished Lightning Lit 3

mirabillis

Any suggestions?

I'm so bummed Lightning Lit's next in the grammar series is not completed. We really liked Lightning Lit 2nd (used 2nd/3rd) & 3rd (used for 4th-5th). But now we're done. And LL7 we'll wait until 7th as it is more appropriate for a 7th grader from our experience with older siblings.

So what do I do now? What are some good literature suggestions?

I like having him read various books - and have questions/answers to ask of him.

I'm thinking for this year, to complete 5th, and next year 6th.

TIA!

I still love the Classical House of Learning Literature guides from the website. It is no longer active, but I just checked and the files are still there for the logic stage lesson plans she had completed. I have done both the ancients and middle ages in the past and am repeating them this year with my next student. They are very well done and follow WTM suggestions. 

If you want a curriculum to go with your own literature choices, you might consider Beyond the Book Report. 

https://www.analyticalgrammar.com/our-products/beyond-the-book-report/

My ds' co-op composition class used Season 3 this year, but I like the looks of Season 1 and 2 as well. It's all about writing about literature, but they are learning literary elements and figurative language along the way. 

Season 1 has them read three books. The writing assignments include paraphrasing a favorite scene, writing a plot summary, completing a literary terms worksheet, creating study questions or a crossword puzzle, creating a pamphlet of major literary elements, writing news articles on favorite scenes in the book (including writing from two different biases). 

Season 2 has them read two books in addition to A Midsummer Night's Dream. The assignments include a figurative language activity, a game, a poetry final test, write four types of poems based on literary elements of a book, write paraphrases and prose of some scenes from Midsummer Night's Dream, and write a dramatized version of a favorite chapter or scene in a book. 

Edited by mom31257