Menu

Any advice for travelling Scotland & Ireland in May?

chocolatechip

Do any who live in Scotland or Ireland have some tips for traveling there in May? 

Here is our itinerary: 

Edinburgh (4 nights)

Stirling (1 night)

Oban (1 night)

Iona (2 nights)

Glasgow (1 night)

Dublin (3 nights)

Athlone (3 nights)

Galway City (2 nights)

Clare (1 night)

As far as activities, the trip is pretty much planned out (this is a university-sponsored trip). There will be some opportunities for free time, but not loads of open time.

I'm especially looking for advice on what not to do or say so as to avoid offending locals as well as recommendations for clothing and shoes that will blend in with the locals and be suitable for the weather but also versatile (I'm from the PNW if that helps; I hear it is similar?) Is there anything I should specifically avoid aside from athletic shoes and graphic shirts? Anything that I should try to make sure I bring?  However, I have never travelled internationally, so if there are other things you think important aside from clothing I am sure I will appreciate them very much as well. 

Y'all are fabulous - thank you! :)

• Like 1

Layers are your friend.

Bring good quality rain gear and a stout umbrella.  We never travel without rain pants and rain coats and umbrellas. Rain is frequent there, especially at that time. It's sooooo much better to shimmy into your waterproofs and keep on seeing the sights. 

Supremely comfortable shoes are best.

• Like 1

Do any who live in Scotland or Ireland have some tips for traveling there in May? 

Here is our itinerary: 

Edinburgh (4 nights)

Stirling (1 night)

Oban (1 night)

Iona (2 nights)

Glasgow (1 night)

Dublin (3 nights)

Athlone (3 nights)

Galway City (2 nights)

Clare (1 night)

As far as activities, the trip is pretty much planned out (this is a university-sponsored trip). There will be some opportunities for free time, but not loads of open time.

I'm especially looking for advice on what not to do or say so as to avoid offending locals as well as recommendations for clothing and shoes that will blend in with the locals and be suitable for the weather but also versatile (I'm from the PNW if that helps; I hear it is similar?) Is there anything I should specifically avoid aside from athletic shoes and graphic shirts? Anything that I should try to make sure I bring?  However, I have never travelled internationally, so if there are other things you think important aside from clothing I am sure I will appreciate them very much as well. 

Y'all are fabulous - thank you! :)

Waterproof shoes, layers.  I wouldn't bother with trying to dress up: outdoor gear would be fine (trousers, waterproof walking shoes, t-shirt, shirt, fleece, waterproof jacket with hood).  No umbrellas - too windy.   More subdued colours in general are better.  It is very unlikely to be more than 20 degrees C when you are there.  More likely in May is somewhere around 10 degrees, cooler at night.

Check health insurance, phone connectivity.  Remember that people in Scotland are not English, and the country is called Scotland or Britain, not England.

• Like 3

Thanks all. This is helpful information!

You might want to bring one or two nicer shirts to go with some packable slacks for the capitals - depending on the events you are attending.

If you are in Oban, I recommend the seafood shack.  The original shack is green - there's a copycat one in tartan too:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186501-d2091037-Reviews-Oban_Seafood_Hut-Oban_Argyll_and_Bute_Scotland.html

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

Comfortable shoes good in wet weather. Pack layers. Umbrella or raincoat.

If you have an unlocked smartphone, purchase a SIM card there for cheap and you'll have data for google maps, looking up restaurants, etc....

There was a restaurant in Athlone near the castle that had the best beef stew I've ever tasted. Sorry can't remember the name, only how to get there.

Find some good local music in pubs at night especially in Galway and Clare. "Real" Irish music in Dublin (rather than touristy pub music found in Temple Bar area) can be found at the Cobblestone Pub.

When we went, I brought Merino long underwear. Nice and cozy under my jeans, and can be hand washed and hung dry (dries fast). I also brought a fleece hoodie and separate waterproof rain jacket/wind breaker. This worked great because I could just take off the jacket and it fit in my purse when it wasn't raining, or if I was coming indoors from being in the rain and wanted to just take off the wet layer. I brought tennis shoes and Hunter wellies and ended up wearing the wellies the entire trip. I also brought a waterproof purse so I didn't have to worry about it getting wet (it did, and my stuff stayed dry).

We went in April and while we were there it rained a lot and some days there was even snow/small hail. I'm thinking by May you will probably just have rain. I never used an umbrella, just my hooded jacket.

Try to pack light; you will likely be lugging suitcases up and down stairs.

I found the Scottish people very friendly and hospitable, and in general quieter and with more formal manners than Americans. I am a quiet person myself so I really enjoyed the atmosphere there. More personal space, both in terms of cultural norms and just less people in general, beautiful scenery, rich history....I hope to go back someday.

Enjoy your trip!!

You might want to bring one or two nicer shirts to go with some packable slacks for the capitals - depending on the events you are attending.

If you are in Oban, I recommend the seafood shack.  The original shack is green - there's a copycat one in tartan too:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186501-d2091037-Reviews-Oban_Seafood_Hut-Oban_Argyll_and_Bute_Scotland.html

Layers are your friend-- hat, good walking shoes, and a rain jacket are essentials.

We loved Oban....one of the most memorable meals we've ever eaten was fresh & hot fish and chips eaten as we sat by the bay. My sons still talk about that 'picnic'.

Scotland is such a lovely place and the people are quite nice. The above poster is correct--do not forget Scotland is Scotland. I made a wee little joke about the matter once and was neatly but firmly put in my place. ;)

I hope you can build in some time for just meandering about...finding some ruins or an interesting little village to wander about.