Menu

Literary Terms?

Is there a curriculum that covers literary terms well? I know that Adam Andrews of "Reading the Classics" has the Socratic list, which is excellent. He has a list of terms in the back, but I'd like something where they utilize the terms in a workbook or some fashion, so I know they know them. I don't want a vocab. list of words to memorize, but rather a way to show what the terms mean and do. Thanks for any help! Janet M.

I use Windows to the World by IEW. It is workbook style based on short stories and is very well done, no twaddle here, it does require the student to think and apply. The terms covered are:

Annotation

Allusions

Plot and sequence

conflict

Literary analysis essays

Parallelism, euphemism, similes

Characterization

Symbolism & emphasis

Theme and worldview

Setting

Mood and atmosphere

Imagery

Point of view

Tone

Irony

This would work well for advanced middle school through high school. I also use the information and apply it to other books we are reading.

I also have Teaching the Classics by Adam Andrews of IEW. It is on a simpler level than the above, more at a middle school level and would be great to use prior to Windows to the World. It is workbook style and based on short children's stories. It covers:

Preparing for literary analysis

Socratic method

Plot and conflict

Setting

Character

Theme

Again, I use the information in here and apply it to the book we are reading.

I would definitely recommend the Teaching the Classics. We are using it now with a literature co-op. We spent a week before school officially started and watched the video's. Then have been reading books and discussing them, using his method.

:iagree: