Menu

NM

Sweet Home Alabama

Would you mind telling me why you suggest MP English Grammar bk 1?

I've also just remembered Easy Grammar.

Looking at this now.

I recommended book 1 because we don't know the grammar background of the students and it fits all off your requirements. There will be some students that will need a little extra practice but, since your plan is to use a modified WWE writing to reinforce the grammar, then it should be enough. I also agree that Easy Grammar could be good, I would however go ahead and buy the little green EGR handbook to use for memorization of the rules. Edited by mama25angels

I might go with Writing-Tales.

It's classical/progym-style, teaches the 8 parts of speech, basic writing, and is rule centered.  The teacher's book has an entire section on teaching in a co-op: the games and activities to play during class and what homework to assign during the week.  The student book for level 1 is $19.95 on their website. 

On the very inexpensive side there is Creek Edge Press, which wouldn't require a workbook at all, but the students keeping notebooks.  You could buy a set of the grammar reinforcement cards and create a curriculum around that.

• Like 1

Awesome, ladies! Thank you!

I remember Writing Tales from looking at it years ago, but it has been years since I've considered it.

I'll also look at Creek Edge Press.

Mama25angels, you and I are thinking the same thing... Easy Grammar and the MP Recitation rule book. I think that is a good combination.

For Easy Grammar, do you think the workbook would get the job done? The primary text is probably too expensive.

I remember Writing Tales from looking at it years ago, but it has been years since I've considered it.

Mama25angels, you and I are thinking the same thing... Easy Grammar and the MP Recitation rule book. I think that is a good combination.

For Easy Grammar, do you think the workbook would get the job done? The primary text is probably too expensive.

Yes, I do!

Easy Grammar includes punctuation. If you used that, you wouldn't need anything else.

The only thing with Easy Grammar is that it's best if each page that the children finish is corrected before going on to the next one, so any concepts can be retaught before going on to the next page. You can do several pages in class, but you wouldn't want to assign too many for them to do at home.

Also, punctuation is taught last, after all the parts of speech are taught. I would keep it that way, because knowing the part of speech can affect the punctuation that is used. You can probably skip ahead to capitalization things, though.

Have you ever looked at Rules of the Game? You might could complete Book 1 and 2. I haven't used it but was strongly considering it at one point and went another route. I wish I had tried it. 

http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/products/literacy/grammar-writing/rules-of-the-game/about-the-program

Rainbow Resource sells the books. http://www.rainbowresource.com/searchspring.php?q=rules+of+the+game