Menu

checking: AP micro & AP macro at the same time?

Planning for next year - 10th grade.

DS15 likes the social sciences.  Taking APHUG (WHA) this year and enjoying it.  He's got plenty of math background.

It seems like many people do both micro and macro econ in the same year?

That's reasonable?

potter's seems to offer each as full year courses.

PAH has them as 1/2 year.

I noticed that PAH's course (http://www.aphomeschoolers.com/cgi-bin/choose.pl?class=economics) lists the lectures as coming from someone else (available separately) and doesn't have scheduled chats or things, and regular class times run only 1/2 the year...so why is this class 600$???

My Dd is taking both this yr. she is using Thinkwell's econ course that includes both. (I think I paid $65 for it through homeschool buyers coop.) She took the micro CLEP at the end of last semester and got a close to perfect score.

Is this the Steven Tomlinson course?  (appears to be produced around 2000)

Does your student enjoy the lectures?

Edited by MarkT

These are easy to self-study for - each was a light semester-long class for us.  We followed the general guideline Kathy in Richmond outlined in this thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/272069-if-your-dc-has-self-studied-for-apmacroeconomics-andor-microeconomics/

We did the same for Macro - covering about two chapters/week of the McConnell and Brue textbook.  DS got easy 5s on both exams.

• Like 1

These are easy to self-study for - each was a light semester-long class for us.  

:iagree:  DS studied them when he was 10th. It took one semester for both and I believe he used Principles of Economics by N. Gregory Mankiw.  After then Princeton Review and 5 Steps AP prep books. 

IMHO, these are one of the easiest AP tests students study by themselves. He got 5 for both. 

DS took the classes through PAH.  Yes it is asychronus but the Macro is one of DS's top two favorite classes ever.  The teacher has programmed these amazing game similations where they kids can practice different concepts they learned.  My DS had the best time with it.  There was more class interactions in that class than most of the live classes that DS has taken.  It's the one AP class I will have my second DS take.  Yes I'm sure it might be possible to self-study but he wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much.  Micro was fine but just a class if you know what I mean.  Macro was truly outstanding.  The teacher even wrote an 8 page individualized progress report and sent it to us at Christmas. Absolutely worth $600 in my book.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 2

DS took the classes through PAH.  Yes it is asychronus but the Macro is one of DS's top two favorite classes ever.  The teacher has programmed these amazing game similations where they kids can practice different concepts they learned.  My DS had the best time with it.  There was more class interactions in that class than most of the live classes that DS has taken.  It's the one AP class I will have my second DS take.  Yes I'm sure it might be possible to self-study but he wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much.  Micro was fine but just a class if you know what I mean.  Macro was truly outstanding.  The teacher even wrote an 8 page individualized progress report and sent it to us at Christmas. Absolutely worth $600 in my book.

this is super useful.  thanks!

Maybe we'll do Macro w/ PAH and Micro as self study.

I'd love for him to get involved in a class where there's more interaction w/ other students.  That sounds excellent.