Menu

Accountability Thread: 2/12-2/18

Up early this morning to take all 3 kids for dental appointments 30 minutes away. We should be back right after lunch.

My goal for school is piano practice, read alouds, a math lesson (3 times table practice), a history video and discussion questions for dd. For ds, I want to do a phonics lesson, buddy reading, handwriting practice, and a short math lesson. If we get through that this afternoon, I'll be happy. :)

• Like 4

I'm up. I think I'll have a cup of tea and a walk with the dogs before I get the week planned. 

Today:

Walk dogs

Clean a room

Project-find out what I have in books and sundry for summer (in the room I'm cleaning, so counts as homeschool planning and houskeeping project)

Make lunch, figure out what I need at the grocery store for the week

Make dinner (Dutch oven roast, some potatoes, broccoli, lemon bars?)

Write 

Relax

Make a list of housekeeping projects for the week and planning projects (only one of each per day)

• Like 4

Well we got more done than expected, the youngest did his Spanish/ German, cursive, math, literature and piano. He wanted to read 2 chapters of his book so we'd be on the same chapter as we were day, lol. The older boy did his math, Latin,literature and science reading and narrating. Now, I'm anxiously waiting for UPS to drop off my Amazon order.

• Like 3

Happy Monday! Having a lazy morning here. Slow start to the week. It is kinda nice just to watch the kids play and not start off the day like a crazed drill sergeant lol. The kids did do French, typing and piano, and now we are headed to Costco so we will fit in our audio books in the car. I'll just have to stay motivated to get the kids through our ordinary morning stuff in the afternoon.

Nothing really fancy going on this week. I need to schedule dentist appointments for the kids and declutter a bunch of things.

• Like 4

Dd got last week's biology lab done yesterday.

She's gotten today's school done.  I need extra accountability for getting the grading done.  (She wanted to go on errands to the  next city over and I've said no.  Just too much.)

Algebra - graded and recorded

Logic - graded and recorded.

Literature - paper read.  I need to let it percolate a bit before I can come up with good helpful feedback.

Grammar - graded and recorded

No geography today.  It is a 4 day a week subject.

Biology - graded and recorded.

Japanese done.  This is a pass/fail class since I"m teaching to mastery and won't let her fail. 

• Like 4

Good morning! Day two of my February break.

Schedule:

Walk with dogs

Second cup of tea

Print out stories for critique, and put them in a safe place while waiting for deadline information

Edit

Clean desk out, maybe work on the closet, maybe not.

Check boys project work

Clean kitchen, dining room, laundry (usual Tuesday work)

Writers' meeting

That looks doable. :001_smile:  Second cup of tea now.

• Like 4

It's gray today and the boys are still in bed. The only thing I'm certain of getting done is math and reading, maybe some Spanish and German. I need a springbreak but I'm going to try and wait a little while longer. On a more upbeat note, my Echo arrived yesterday evening and youngest and I have been having a blast playing with Alexa. She read me my Bible chapter this morning.

• Like 4

Early midwife appt this morning, 32 weeks. It ended up running long so I invited DH to have lunch with us (it was right by his office) and we are getting home just in time for piano lessons. Not much school will be happening today I guess! On the up side, I think I know what we will be doing for math for the rest of the year and how to leave it teachable for DH/my mom if need. Now I just need to finalize spelling/handwriting and make a good list of documentaries and audio books that can pass as content subjects in case of need. Only a few hours of work now I think. It's a relief to be almost done.

Will be trying to squeeze in a few things between clean up and making chocolate covered strawberries for Valentine's day today :)

• Like 3

Happy Wednesday!

Today's schedule:

Walk with dogs (done)

Second tea (done)

Sweep and mop the living room (done)

(Possibly) clean closet (not happening today--I might get it tomorrow, or I might not.)

(Absolutely) plan next six weeks of school and type up list for next week (in progress-French, Latin, Math, Composition, Spelling, Grammar, History, Science. I'm calling that good. I have to work out Creative Writing, Literature, and Logic--but those are electives. Core is done!)

Make GF Pizza crusts (done)

Write (Finally!)

Pizza night

That might be doable. Dogs have been walked and housekeeping is up next. I don't know if I'll get to the closet or not. It isn't bad. But the school planning has to come first, because I don't want to be doing that over the weekend.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

Just now making it back here. The boys are up early this morning so we are snuggling on the couch watching Masha and the Bear.

We accomplished everything I wanted to Monday afternoon so I'm very happy about that. Tuesday morning dd practiced piano and did a long math lesson with dh. His method of teaching can exhaust her sometimes so I just let her unwind after that. :lol: She just did her independent reading without any more lessons. She did end up doing a 2nd piano practice after dinner.

Ds picked up Green Eggs and Ham and read the whole thing aloud to us. We celebrated afterwards and he declared that reading that long book was his lesson for the day. :biggrinjester: I was planning on it anyway, but it was hilarious that he made the connection. :laugh:

We also observed a groundhog in our yard. After it walked off, ds tapped my phone and said, "ok, look up more pictures of groundhogs." :laugh: So we had a little mini lesson of the characteristics of groundhogs. I love homeschooling. :001_wub:

Dh had medical tests in the afternoon so the kids had a movie day with the sitter while the baby napped. Today, we should get a full school day before heading out for piano lesson and grocery shopping. I think I forgot what a full school day consists off! I better get out my planner and figure out what needs done.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

• Like 4

I don't think my Wednesday is going to be happy, I'm exhausted and I don't know why. I'm going to try and get our regular schedule done, with a trip to the grocery store in there somewhere, dinner made and make it to church without losing anymore of my sanity. 

Sounds like a nap might be a good thing to schedule for the afternoon. I had a day a little like that on Monday, but I think I was still recovering from the weekend.

• Like 4

I don't think my Wednesday is going to be happy, I'm exhausted and I don't know why. I'm going to try and get our regular schedule done, with a trip to the grocery store in there somewhere, dinner made and make it to church without losing anymore of my sanity.

I agree with critter! Minimum school plus nap. Wednesday's are hard here too because of church or church obligations at night. It squishes up the whole day..

About 2 hours sill before my house wakes up (time zones are funny!). Regular-ish day of school plus Parkour in the afternoon and catechism class at night. Teaching for me, attending for the two bigger kids. I just got the schedule for standardized testing last night. Apparently available dates are the week before and the week after my baby is due, about an hour's drive away. Need to go two days in a row. DH and I both believe testing is good practice for life and there are some incentives attached to testing (we don't have to do it) but goal for today is to figure out exactly how strong the incentives are. I'd rather just do and online practice test this year given the poor timing for us.

And now that I am thinking about testing.. Double L/A, double math, nothing fun for the next 6 weeks lol

• Like 3

Well, I got through most of my list. Even had pizza night. I still lack planning for Creative Writing, Logic and Literature, but I wanted to think about Creative Writing and Literature for a few hours, and Logic will take care of itself. The closet remains un-tackled. I'll deal with it later.

Tomorrow we will go to Art, and probably kayak the river. Perfect opportunity to edit by hand and to think about the remaining subjects to plan.

• Like 4

Good morning :) I have several computer things I have wanted my son to do for a while now so I think today will be a computer-school day. Still planning to hit all the subjects as there are even some language arts things on that list. Hopefully it is a fun little change up.

Older neighborhood girl coming over to play in the afternoon. Should motivate the kids to clean at lunch and hopefully they will be well occupied for the afternoon so I can put my feet up for a bit.

-math, l/a, typing, history, science and piano

-pickup/vacuum upstairs and basement

- me: clean kitchen and put away laundry

-me: rest, study languages

- all of us prep/setup/pickup for dinner

• Like 4

Co op was awesome today!! And before we had to leave to get there youngest and I did German, spelling test, piano, and I read him a chapter of Essential Arithmetricks. I thought I'd try it out with him today since I'm considering adding in living math books to our math time. Big boy was only able to read his literature book read, which was fine since he's engaged with the book. At co op youngest got his Spanish lesson in and some fun science and oldest did Greek roots and logic, where we had some excellent discussions.

• Like 4

Good morning! I think we are going to have a perfect spring day today. Funny how we only have those in February. :laugh:

Today's schedule:

Boys walk dogs this morning, I'll walk this afternoon.

Make chocolate cake

Housekeeping

Edit for me, rewrite--I've got a scene I want to finish which will finish another chapter worth of intensive editing

Mark up a manuscript for another writer

Two critiques--shouldn't take long

River?

Yesterday we got to the river and it was really too high and too murky for me to be comfortable letting the boys practice kayaking. Ironically, the water was fast enough for a fun float, but not when you've had the kayak a week or so and have only been in it one time! So we went to the lake and practiced there. I don't think the water will be down enough today, but I'd like to get outside again. We'll see. There's a smaller lake that is quieter than the main lake in town, and we might head out there.

• Like 4

I don't know that we'll be doing anything today unless you count going to the library for living math books. Can we call that a small research project, lol? I'm exhausted, one of my older boys has drill this weekend and I had to be up at 4 to get him there in order to keep my own vehicle. And for some odd reason people think that it's ok to start texting and calling me before 8😡. I think we'll just relax today and work Monday instead, maybe.

• Like 3

I haven't been posting much because following the list and just getting it done is rather boring.

But today isn't boring. I'm having a health crisis (a familiar one for me) and I had a particularly bad night. So today I am not firing on all cylinders. But even though I would tell others to show themselves some grace, I'm feeling a bit of a failure. Algebra was word problems today. I hate that I was able to figure out the right answer but can't tell you why I did it that way.

Then in biology dd was supposed to work on a map of the Colorado or Columbia rivers showing the biomes and ecosystems. But I just couldn't find the information online. I know it's there. But fuzzy brain. So I had her read an article on the ecology of the Colorado river and am going to call that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I just had a huge mothering teaching failure. I took dd out to a beautiful forest trail with waterfall for her to do her biology assignment. All she had to do was to carefully observe two different areas and write a paragraph for each noting micro biomes and microclimates. She sat there like a lump. I asked leading questions to help break it down for her. When I got the shoulder shrug and "I dunno " response I told her that even an upper elementary student could figure it out and stormed off to the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Usually I'm more patient with typical 15 year old ness.  But things worked out in the end.  And I haven't read what she wrote yet, but I saw a good page of writing, which is much more than the two sentences that were there when I stormed off.

Anyway. . . I've calmed down.  She's calmed down.  She's working on the rest of school.  I'm starting to dot my I's and cross my T's to make sure I get everything graded for the week.

So here's my countdown:

Algebra - All done, graded and recorded for the entire week.

Logic - All done, graded and recorded for the entire week. 

Literature - All done, graded and recorded for the entire week except for her writing from earlier in the week.  I still have to figure out how to grade this. 

Grammar - All done, graded and recorded for the entire week.

World Geography - All done, graded and recorded for the entire week.

Biology - All done, graded and recorded for the entire week, including today's work which ended up being fine once she actually did it without whining

Japanese - not graded because we do it to mastery, but all done and noted in the grade book as done. 

• Like 2

Jean I am glad things are calming down for you. I don't think that sounds like a big failure at all. Just a tough day.

---

Speaking of tough days. Started off with one here too. DH and I both had our plans fall through (separately) for dumb reasons. I need more of a vent thread than an accountability thread for the story though. It is not a school day for the local kids here so mine got up and went through school at lightening speed in order to have a play date. Kids had packed up snow clothes and were outside loading in the car when the other adult flaked out and texted to let me know she had to go grocery shopping and wanted to push back time 1hr. Such disappointed kids :( It was awful. I ended up making other plans so we ate lunch out and went to barns and noble and made a nice day if it anyway. Other adult is annoyed at me but I put a high value on my time and children's emotions, and I certainly don't sacrifice/condense a school day for nothing.

But anyway decent school got done. I don't think I posted again yesterday but I finished that whole list which I was proud of.

• Like 3

Not much to be accountable for today, just doing basic house stuff and getting ready for next week.  Youngest and I went to Barnes and Noble today and I found the most adorable math book ever!!  The title is How to Be Good at Math:  The simplest-ever visual guide, I couldn't resist buying it, it even has a section on Algebra.  I think this will work nicely for my older math struggler, along with the Everything You Need to Know to Ace Math book.  He really likes that book, which is part of what has prompted me to begin looking more at living math books and adding some into our math time.  I also bought a LOF book for him, I think these will be nice additions to our math collection.  Who's taking Monday off?  We will probably work half a day and probably not our regular routine.  I know we'll go to piano, probably math games and reading a math book, and maybe just maybe i'll take out our story cubes.

Edited by mama25angels
  • Like 3

It is not a school day for the local kids here so mine got up and went through school at lightening speed in order to have a play date. Kids had packed up snow clothes and were outside loading in the car when the other adult flaked out and texted to let me know she had to go grocery shopping and wanted to push back time 1hr. Such disappointed kids :( It was awful. I ended up making other plans so we ate lunch out and went to barns and noble and made a nice day if it anyway. Other adult is annoyed at me but I put a high value on my time and children's emotions, and I certainly don't sacrifice/condense a school day for nothing.

But anyway decent school got done. I don't think I posted again yesterday but I finished that whole list which I was proud of.

Umm, that other adult has no right to be annoyed with you. :glare: They could have easily said "bring your own snacks, it's shopping day for us!" and gone grocery shopping after the play date to honor the original plan. I bet their kids were disappointed too. Grocery shopping with mom instead of play date with friends?! Major bummer. Poor kids. Good for you for not caving yo the unnecessary change of plans! :thumbup1:

And a big :grouphug: for Jean.

• Like 4