Menu

Help me entertain my 2yo

We are home from China 2 weeks now with our first daughter. Developmentally, she is around 16-18 months. She.mouths.everything. Short attention span. Chucks everything on the floor. Our youngest bio is 3.5 and all my boys have been blissfully eager to hang out at the table and participate in school. Only one mouther previously. I need a refresher. What kinds of things do you give your older babies at the table? She screams if I'm not in sight, so table or high chair are the best places for her to be. We only school maybe 2 hours a day (oldest is 7), and she snacks through part of it. And she has floor time with our 3yo for part of it. I just need a ton of ideas to rotate for her while the 3yo is coloring or doing play dough or those kinds of things since she eats play dough and crayons.

Thanks in advance!

This may sound funny but I've had good success by pouring a bath in a rubbermaid bin and then putting it next to the table. This has been able to entertain my little ones for up to half an hour. As a bonus they're clean when you're done! I also like to also buy a little time with some slow to eat snacks like peeled apples.

Try to cut yourself a little slack. It sounds like she needs to adjust to your home and routines. Once she tries everything in her mouth she'll probably learn that much of it isn't food and will stop. Just think, crayons and playdoh are new to her. Of course she has to try them out. Once she gets used to sitting in her chair she'll probably do better. You could also try a pack-and-play. This could help contain her but give her some room to play. She might object at first but if you persist with a few minutes at a time she should get used to it.

Edited to add: CONGRATULATIONS!

Edited by Rose M
  • Like 1

What about a magnadoodle board? My toddlers always loved them. We have the B. Toys brand one.

Megablocks/duplos

They sell these cute toddler crayola markers that have an animal as the handle and are color wonder

Big chunky puzzles

A ziplock bag with colored gel inside. I've seen it on Pinterest.

Google toddler sensory bins. There are some on Pinterest for this age/developmental stage.

This may sound funny but I've had good success by pouring a bath in a rubbermaid bin and then putting it next to the table. This has been able to entertain my little ones for up to half an hour. As a bonus they're clean when you're done! I also like to also buy a little time with some slow to eat snacks like peeled apples.

Try to cut yourself a little slack. It sounds like she needs to adjust to your home and routines. Once she tries everything in her mouth she'll probably learn that much of it isn't food and will stop. Just think, crayons and playdoh are new to her. Of course she has to try them out. Once she gets used to sitting in her chair she'll probably do better. You could also try a pack-and-play. This could help contain her but give her some room to play. She might object at first but if you persist with a few minutes at a time she should get used to it.

Water play is a great idea!! She loves baths. Thanks!! I think a little bit of water and stacking cups on a towel on the floor would buy me a ton of time. Thank you!

Yeah, definitely time. The boys and I need routine and function best with consistency, which is why we jumped back in. But you're right. It's all new to her and she is still figuring us out.

What about a magnadoodle board? My toddlers always loved them. We have the B. Toys brand one.

Megablocks/duplos

They sell these cute toddler crayola markers that have an animal as the handle and are color wonder

Big chunky puzzles

A ziplock bag with colored gel inside. I've seen it on Pinterest.

Google toddler sensory bins. There are some on Pinterest for this age/developmental stage.

Great ideas! Thanks!! We have a boogie board for her, which is basically an electronic magnadoodle, and she does love it. Getting different versions of something she enjoys is perfect!

I'm going to look for those markers. We used to have a couple. She enjoys coloring but has enough teeth that she gets serious bites out of crayons at this point.

We have megablocks, so I'll give those a whirl. Duplos weren't. Huge success. Too small I think.

She loves puzzles and sensory bins. The puzzles only last a couple minutes before becoming weapons.

I'm going to look into the gel bags. My youngest bio didn't really get into them but it's worth a try with her.

Appreciate all your thoughts!!!

We've tried everything with my almost 3 yr old (developmentally 12-18 months) nothing entertains him for very long. What we have had to do is have my other kids take turns playing with him while i work one on one with the other. My daughter's are 7 and 9 and they love this time with their brother. Everyone stays in the same room so i can keep an eye on them and the room gets really messy, but he's happy getting lots of attention. Oh and mine mouths EVERYTHING too. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

Having a son from China also, those first few weeks home are brutal. Don't underestimate jet lag. Honestly, if I were you I'd take the next month off of school and focus on enjoying time as a new family. Read a lot, but include her. Do fun activities that promote bonding between you and siblings. It's a hard road, but you can do it. We've been home 2 years in May (my son is now 3.5). Sensory activities are huge with my son. Of course make sure it's stuff that is safe in her mouth. Are you in a part of the country where you can be outside? That saved us when my son came home. Feel free to PM me with any questions about coming home from China. Congrats!!!

• Like 1

You could try putting something squishy but neutral colored, shaving cream or play doh or sand, and a bit of food dye or paint in a baggie. Tape it closed and let kid mix the color in. Super messy if it gets out, but then you can do the bath idea, haha.

YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!   I have a terrible time with my 15 month old baby girl.  She actually gets jealous when I read or do school with my boys and physically puts herself between us and tries to frumple up books and things.  She LOVES her bath time and cries every night when I get her out.  This could be PERFECT!  I usually have to have dh around or wait until nap.  If I plan a distraction for the baby and the 3 year old the 5 year old wants to play with the distraction too. 

YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!   I have a terrible time with my 15 month old baby girl.  She actually gets jealous when I read or do school with my boys and physically puts herself between us and tries to frumple up books and things.  She LOVES her bath time and cries every night when I get her out.  This could be PERFECT!  I usually have to have dh around or wait until nap.  If I plan a distraction for the baby and the 3 year old the 5 year old wants to play with the distraction too.

Awww, shucks. I'm glad I could help. :)

We've tried everything with my almost 3 yr old (developmentally 12-18 months) nothing entertains him for very long. What we have had to do is have my other kids take turns playing with him while i work one on one with the other. My daughter's are 7 and 9 and they love this time with their brother. Everyone stays in the same room so i can keep an eye on them and the room gets really messy, but he's happy getting lots of attention. Oh and mine mouths EVERYTHING too. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

Is he adopted also? I have another friend who has the older siblings take turns with the younger siblings. I think she calls it buddy time. I'm going to think about how that could look for us. Thanks!

Having a son from China also, those first few weeks home are brutal. Don't underestimate jet lag. Honestly, if I were you I'd take the next month off of school and focus on enjoying time as a new family. Read a lot, but include her. Do fun activities that promote bonding between you and siblings. It's a hard road, but you can do it. We've been home 2 years in May (my son is now 3.5). Sensory activities are huge with my son. Of course make sure it's stuff that is safe in her mouth. Are you in a part of the country where you can be outside? That saved us when my son came home. Feel free to PM me with any questions about coming home from China. Congrats!!!

I honestly didn't plan on starting school again so soon, but my boys act out if they don't have structure. I figured, we would start off really slow with really low expectations and go from there. The first day was great, the second was awful, and then it kind of evened out. We added in a couple subjects this week and it is going really well. Honestly, the hard part is figuring out how to keep them all happy when we are not doing school! She is not big into books yet, but I am trying. 

We are in the northeast, so we have not been outside since getting home, no. 

Thank you so much for being available as a resource! 

You could try putting something squishy but neutral colored, shaving cream or play doh or sand, and a bit of food dye or paint in a baggie. Tape it closed and let kid mix the color in. Super messy if it gets out, but then you can do the bath idea, haha.

You are brave! Someone else mentioned the sensory bag. I am going to look and see what we have and try it out, I think. Thanks!

I've also seen safe water beads that use tapioca pearls instead of the plastic made ones. I'm not sure how safeness they'd be for a young toddler, but my son did well at 2.5 with them.

She would definitely shove them in her mouth. I bet she and my 3yo would love that when she is a bit older. Thanks!

Awww, shucks. I'm glad I could help. :)

I was responding on my phone before and didn't see your signature. You have lots of experience with this age! I look forward to trying out the water play this week. 

Would she be content snuggling in a back carrier against you for a while?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

She loves being worn, but not as much at home as out. It's worth a try, though! Thanks!

I was going to suggest you just alternate your older kids playing with her while you do school.    Then I read that your oldest is 7 and school is only taking 2 hours per day.  

If that is the case, does your 2-year-old nap without you?   Could you save all "school work" for nap time?   I know that schedule is a little less traditional, but it might make you more productive.

If you did this, you could devote your mornings to things that would enrich/educate the whole family.   (Picture book read aloud, playing outside, nature walks, building with blocks/forts, painting/crafts playdough, field trips to the post office/zoo/park, learning to help around the house, etc.  etc.)     Those things would probably be enjoyed by the whole family and are JUST as important for 7 year olds as they are 2 year olds.   

I also highly recommend getting a babycarrier and learnign to wear her on your back.    I wore my needy babies and toddlers A LOT.   That is the only way I was able to get laundry and dishes finished sometimes.  ;)  

------------

ALTHOUGH if you have only been home for 2 weeks, maybe it is better to put things on hold for awhile.    Take a longer vacation.   I promise you, it will be all right if you do this.    You can always make up the time this summer.   And, in fact, you might actually find that you are able to get MORE done if you invest a little time now helping the new addition to feel secure.  

I was going to suggest you just alternate your older kids playing with her while you do school. Then I read that your oldest is 7 and school is only taking 2 hours per day.

If that is the case, does your 2-year-old nap without you? Could you save all "school work" for nap time? I know that schedule is a little less traditional, but it might make you more productive.

If you did this, you could devote your mornings to things that would enrich/educate the whole family. (Picture book read aloud, playing outside, nature walks, building with blocks/forts, painting/crafts playdough, field trips to the post office/zoo/park, learning to help around the house, etc. etc.) Those things would probably be enjoyed by the whole family and are JUST as important for 7 year olds as they are 2 year olds.

I also highly recommend getting a babycarrier and learnign to wear her on your back. I wore my needy babies and toddlers A LOT. That is the only way I was able to get laundry and dishes finished sometimes. ;)

------------

ALTHOUGH if you have only been home for 2 weeks, maybe it is better to put things on hold for awhile. Take a longer vacation. I promise you, it will be all right if you do this. You can always make up the time this summer. And, in fact, you might actually find that you are able to get MORE done if you invest a little time now helping the new addition to feel secure.

Thanks for all your thoughts!!

I need the quiet at naptime. They all have quiet time upstairs for 2 hours in the afternoons. If she sleeps less than 2 hours, she hangs out in the pack and play in the kitchen while I cook/clean. My sanity hinges on that time off.

I'm not unhappy with our current routine. Just trying to remember how best to incorporate and entertain an older baby during school. I know the Ergo can be worn on my back so I'll have to practice. Thanks again!

I was going to suggest you just alternate your older kids playing with her while you do school. Then I read that your oldest is 7 and school is only taking 2 hours per day.

If that is the case, does your 2-year-old nap without you? Could you save all "school work" for nap time? I know that schedule is a little less traditional, but it might make you more productive.

If you did this, you could devote your mornings to things that would enrich/educate the whole family. (Picture book read aloud, playing outside, nature walks, building with blocks/forts, painting/crafts playdough, field trips to the post office/zoo/park, learning to help around the house, etc. etc.) Those things would probably be enjoyed by the whole family and are JUST as important for 7 year olds as they are 2 year olds.

I also highly recommend getting a babycarrier and learnign to wear her on your back. I wore my needy babies and toddlers A LOT. That is the only way I was able to get laundry and dishes finished sometimes. ;)

------------

ALTHOUGH if you have only been home for 2 weeks, maybe it is better to put things on hold for awhile. Take a longer vacation. I promise you, it will be all right if you do this. You can always make up the time this summer. And, in fact, you might actually find that you are able to get MORE done if you invest a little time now helping the new addition to feel secure.

Ugh, responding on my phone is so confusing. Hope my previous response didn't come across as curt. Definitely appreciate your thoughtful response! Phone answering is tricky! Going to continue to assess and reassess what works best for us. And will take all these great suggestions into account as we do so. Thanks again! <3

My 15 month old loves to brush her teeth in her high chair.

I smear some peanut butter on the inside of an empty peanut butter jar and give her a spoon to scrape it out and eat it.

I roll her high chair up to the fridge and let her play with leap frog magnet toys.

I clip a bunch of clothes pins around the edge of a paper plate and she pulls them off.

She has just mastered making long snakes out of the big pop beads.

Several kids ago, I drilled a bunch of holes in the top of a shoe box. My toddlers have all enjoyed poking straws through the holes. Some straws I leave whole so they stand up out of the holes; others I cut in thirds so they disappear into the box.

Wendy

My 15 month old loves to brush her teeth in her high chair.

I smear some peanut butter on the inside of an empty peanut butter jar and give her a spoon to scrape it out and eat it.

I roll her high chair up to the fridge and let her play with leap frog magnet toys.

I clip a bunch of clothes pins around the edge of a paper plate and she pulls them off.

She has just mastered making long snakes out of the big pop beads.

Several kids ago, I drilled a bunch of holes in the top of a shoe box. My toddlers have all enjoyed poking straws through the holes. Some straws I leave whole so they stand up out of the holes; others I cut in thirds so they disappear into the box.

Wendy

All great ideas!! Thank you!