Menu

AMC10/12 today

OlgaLA

I am pleasantly surprised this year by the number of girls here. There might actually be more girls than boys at our location :)

Ok, I'll admit I am already bored here, with another hour to kill and absolutely nothing interesting in the neighborhood

• Like 3

I got to listen to the woman who organizes this here, and turns out that she was part of the committee that made the tests up until this year. It was interesting to listen how the tests are made. She said the results should be here in 3 weeks. AIME is in 4, so she said it might be a challenge to get info to those who qualify. DD is not at that level though, so we can wait.

Many took the AMCs in schools today. The list of schools participating was very long. So the crowd here are mainly homeschool kids and those in 5th grade and under. There is always some 4th and 5th graders at this test site.

I know a girl who used to take at this test site when she was in elementary school but took at her middle school this year.

Is your child taking the other date too for the B version?

Edited by Arcadia

FWIW FAQ#4 says "...Students may take the AIME after qualification by being in the (approximately) top 2.5% of scorers on the AMC 10 and the (approximately) top 5% of scorers on the AMC 12..."

They no longer have the 120pt (for AMC 10) or100pt (for AMC 12) cutoff for guaranteed AIME qualification.

The first words out of DD's mouth when she came out of the room were "Mom, the ratio of girls to boys today was at least 2 to 1." Last year for AMC 8 there were three girls in the room full of boys. I don't now what happened here today, but I was happy to see it.

DD won't be taking AMC10B since our place only holds 10/12A, and she is not competitive enough for me to go through the hassle of locating another place. 

Many took the AMCs in schools today. The list of schools participating was very long. So the crowd here are mainly homeschool kids and those in 5th grade and under. There is always some 4th and 5th graders at this test site.

I know a girl who used to take at this test site when she was in elementary school but took at her middle school this year.

Is your child taking the other date too for the B version?

4th and 5th graders taking the AMC 10? That's impressive

The AoPS math jam to discuss the questions is in an hour's time.

"2017 AMC 10/12 A Discussion

Instructor: AoPS Staff

Difficulty Level: 6* (Intermediate math) February 8th (Wednesday)

7:00 pm ET

AoPS Instructors will discuss problems from the AMC 10/12 A, administered February 7. We will discuss the last 5 problems on each test." https://www.artofproblemsolving.com/school/mathjams

• 2 weeks later...

When do the results come out

I just received my boys results via email for 10A. Both kids got about 30 points higher than last year's 10A with no prep :) DS11 qualified for the certificate of achievement so that would probably lessen the disappointment over not making honor roll for AMC8.

• Like 2

No point other than it makes my DS11 happy.

"Certificate of achievement for students in grades 8 and below who scored above 90 on the AMC 10A, and students in grades 10 and below who scored above 90 on the AMC 12A."

If you're applying to a private high school, I imagine that this achievement could be important for getting in.

If you're applying to a private high school, I imagine that this achievement could be important for getting in.

I think that the school that might suit DS12 (7th grade) would only care that we can afford the tuition which is higher than my mortgage payments. He made the cutoff but I don't know yet where or when the AIME would be held.

"Grades 6-8 $42,237

Grades 9-12 $45,877"

There is an issue with 12B which was what my boys also took. So I am glad my boys are happy with their 10A results since we don't know what is going to happen for 12B.

https://artofproblemsolving.com/community/c5h1384525_amc_1012b_update

• Like 1

No point other than it makes my DS11 happy.

"Certificate of achievement for students in grades 8 and below who scored above 90 on the AMC 10A, and students in grades 10 and below who scored above 90 on the AMC 12A."

I meant to ask what is the cutoff point or score for the certificate of achievement.

I think that the school that might suit DS12 (7th grade) would only care that we can afford the tuition which is higher than my mortgage payments. He made the cutoff but I don't know yet where or when the AIME would be held.

"Grades 6-8 $42,237

Grades 9-12 $45,877"

There is an issue with 12B which was what my boys also took. So I am glad my boys are happy with their 10A results since we don't know what is going to happen for 12B.

Congrats on making the AIME that is good. Well done to your DS

"Grades 6-8 $42,237

Grades 9-12 $45,877"

I hear you......  I recommend applying for FinAid if you would send your son there if the price was right.  The worst they can do is say "no."    

WOAH!  Crap.  That's not cool.

PS:  Don't be put off by the SSS numbers.  SSS doesn't account for our area's standard of living.   The SSS numbers for us say that we should be able to afford 100% of our tuition.  The schools here know that it isn't the case with the cost of living here.

DS also qualified for AIME and we are trying to figure out he can take AIME II instead of AIME I being offered at this center. Is there a way to figure out and contact other locations that might be offering AIME II? We looked at the list of alternate sites on MAA sites and that is very short. We are in the SF Bay Area if that helps

"AMC 10/12A Update

The 2017 AMC 10/12 A AIME Cutoff Scores are:

AMC 10A: 112.5

AMC 12A: 96"

http://maa.org/math-competitions

Thanks. I should have thought of looking at that page. I see they now have A and B cutoffs, and other news.

They still have no AMC 10/12 A/B results yet at

http://amc-reg.maa.org/reports/generalreports.aspx

and even the AMC 8 results still look incomplete. It's almost as if they've abandoned that page.

We haven't heard from contest mangers yet either.

^ Are you still going with your no prep strategy? :)

Kid does not want to prep :)

DS also qualified for AIME and we are trying to figure out he can take AIME II instead of AIME I being offered at this center. Is there a way to figure out and contact other locations that might be offering AIME II?

You would need the CEEB code for the center for his AMC scores to be reconciled with his AIME score if taken at different centers. AIME II has a fee while AIME I is free.

(ETA:" The processing fee for the second AIME is as follows: 1–10 students = $25, 11+ students = $50. http://www.maa.org/sites/default/files/2017_AIME2_payment_form.pdf)

The location lists at MAA has contact email I think so email now since AIME I is on Tuesday.

We haven't heard from contest mangers yet either.

Give a call or send an email. The A results has been out for quite sometime. Edited by Arcadia